Can you transform your space without spending a ton? Certainly—it just takes some great lighting. Whether you’re setting the mood, creating the right party atmosphere, or creating your own personal sanctuary, colorful lighting—also known as RGB lighting—brings a whole new atmosphere in just minutes. All you need is creativity, a bit of inspiration, and master the tricks and tips below, and you’re well on your way.
What are RGB lights?
RGB lights, better known as colorful LED lights, are decorative light bulbs and other lighting fixtures that make endless color combinations out of red, green, and blue (or “RGB”). You sometimes see colorful LED lights or color changing LED lights called RGB lights for this reason. When those three colors are combined in a light bulb or other fixture, it can create quite literally up to 16 million different color combinations.
Why RGB lights?
The possibilities for colorful LED lights are nearly as endless as the options they’re capable of producing. Consider these clever yet simple ideas for colorful LED lights:
- Turn a bedroom into a soothing, zen-like haven for restful sleep or a child’s room or nursery into a world filled with magic and whimsy.
- Set the mood for any themed party, such as [Halloween], or during the holidays with colorful Christmas lights and laser projectors.
- Use for easy decorations for baby showers, Fourth of July parties, and other special get-togethers.
- Install outdoor LED lighting in and around gazebos, pergolas, and pagodas for an aura of enchantment or romance.
- Put your own personal signature in your bedroom, living room, or office: Create functional and unique modern art on your walls with strip LEDs.
RGB lights vs. laser lights
RGB lights and laser lights can both bring colorful options into your home, but the two light types use different technologies to create memorable experiences. One of the biggest differences is the sharpness in appearance: LED lighting can appear softer than its much sharper laser lighting counterparts. The BlissLights guide to LED lighting vs. laser lights shows you all you need to know about the difference between these two light types.
8 colorful light options
You’re not limited to just RGB lighting when looking for colorful light options for your home. Laser lights can also do the trick. Among the best colorful lights you can use in your home are the following:
1. LED strip lights
- What are LED strip lights? An LED strip light (also known as an LED tape or ribbon light) is a small, flexible circuit board covered with LED chips that produce a single color or can come in color changing options. Most can be trimmed and include an adhesive backing so they can be cut to size and applied anywhere.
- How can you use LED strip lights? LED strip lights are compact and are flush with the surface they are installed on, as opposed to raised LED rope lights, which are thick. This distinction positions strip lights as an excellent choice for discreet mounting applications. They’re often used to provide under-cabinet lighting in kitchens, highlight small displays or architectural features, and make cabinets, bookcases, or shelving pop.
2. Red laser lights
- What are red laser lights? Red laser lights such as bulbs and portable projectors provide a long-lasting source of colorful radiance. Red laser lights that come in bulb form fit any standard socket, so they can be screwed into most ordinary light fixtures.
- How can you use red laser lights? Switch out ordinary bulbs in your home for Red BlissBulbs to get perfect Valentine’s Day ambiance in an instant, or use them in your bedroom for romantic lighting. You can also combine them with green laser lights for the perfect holiday lighting combo, no complicated or cumbersome Christmas light untangling required.
3. Green laser lights
- What are green laser lights? Like red laser lights, green laser lights illuminate rooms brilliantly for years on end. If you’re buying a laser bulb, it can also fit most standard light fixtures, so you can use them in most places in your home.
- How can you use green laser lights? Green laser light bulbs are quite versatile. They can be used in bedrooms, dens, yoga rooms, or anywhere else you’d like to introduce a chill vibe. In other words, green lighting isn’t just for Christmas anymore!
4. Blue laser lights
- What are blue laser lights? Energy-efficient and eye-catching, blue laser lights are a source of dazzling radiance. Many bulb options fit into lamps and other standard light fixtures. You can also find blue laser lights in standalone laser lighting fixtures.
- How can you use blue laser lights? Keep calm and carry on with blue laser lights. Numerous studies have found that blue lighting leads to post-stress relaxation three times faster than traditional yellow or white lighting. For this reason, blue bulbs are absolute perfection for creating a calming sleep area in your home. They’re also fantastic for setting the stage for the ultimate home theater environment.
5. Sky Lite Laser Galaxy Projector 2.0
- What is the Sky Lite projector? The Sky Lite shines a universe of moving laser stars against drifting nebula clouds. This way, you get your own personal galaxy. With the new Bluetooth® controls in the Sky Lite 2.0, you can enjoy these interstellar sights on your own terms.
- How do you use the Sky Lite projector? The Sky Lite 2.0’s tilting design allows you to shine astral effects on walls or ceilings and shower any room with stars. Transform your bedroom, office space, den, TV room, yoga studio, and more! The Sky Lite 2.0 comes with a vibrant, customizable, multicolor cloud and app control.
Sky Lite 2.0: Galaxy Projector (App Control)
Shine a galaxy of moving stars and a vibrant multicolor cloud.
6. Ark Ambient Aurora Light
- What is an Aurora light? The Ark projector shines a soothing, abstract laser “aurora” over a soft blue nebula cloud. What you see will look similar to the polar lights (aurora polaris), aka northern lights (aurora borealis) or southern lights (aurora australis). It’s like being transported to faraway nature without actually moving an inch.
- How can you use an Aurora light? Aurora lights provide the perfect atmosphere for movie night, listening to music, or just relaxing. The Ark projector’s adjustable-angle arc design allows you to aim the device at walls or ceilings to illuminate any room with ethereal sights. It’s the kind of experience you have to see to believe.
ARK Aurora Light
Transcend reality with a moving abstract aurora.
7. StarPort Laser USB
- What is a StarPort Laser USB? This light is a portable laser projector-like light that plugs into any device with a USB port, such as your computer or a wall charger. Plus, since it fits right in your pocket, it lets you see your surroundings in a whole new light no matter where you go.
- How can you use a StarPort Laser USB? Take your StarPort with you as you walk around your home to take your transformed space on the move. Alternatively, pack your StarPort with you for your next vacation, or just bring it to your friend’s house. In all cases, your red, green, or blue starry-sky projections will transport you miles away – even if you’re just using it at home.
StarPort USB Light
One tiny light. Thousands of stars!
8. Smart lights
- What are smart lights? Smart lights are app-controlled, meaning you can change their brightness or color from an app on your smartphone or tablet. That means changing your lighting from your bed or couch – no need to get up and disturb your relaxation.
- How can you use smart lights? Smart lights are great for gaining full control over your room’s brightness and colors. LED smart lights can shine in virtually any of the thousands of colors comprising the rainbow, giving you exactly the home lighting you want. Some models also function as Wi-Fi repeaters to boost signal, and others can play music or sync with your home security system.
Add a BlissLights colorful lighting essential to your lineupWith today’s colorful lighting such as laser lights, LED lights, and smart lights, there’s very little you can’t accomplish in the way of merging modern technology with the personal aesthetics of your home decor. With so many options to choose from, why wait? Browse the BlissLights indoor collection to find the perfect colorful laser lighting for your wants and needs. A fully transformed home – and mind – is just clicks away.
BlissLights Lighting Blog
Discover fun and unique lighting ideas on the BlissLights Lighting Blog!