When it comes to decorating your home, the lighting you choose is essential for creating a welcoming space for you and your family. Matching lighting collections can both illuminate your home and elevate your space by adding design and flair. Some lighting is sold as a matching set, such as a floor lamp with two side lamps, but not every situation calls for that precise a matching lighting collection. For those scenarios, you’ll want to build your own matching lighting collection that best suits your home. To help you pick your ideal lighting collections, we here at BlissLights have assembled a guide full of useful tips.
How to choose a matching lighting collection
Once you’ve decided to transform your home into the ultimate cozy, inviting, and comfortable space, it’s important that you take certain factors into consideration before you purchase your light fixtures. Think about these points to steer you in the right direction:
- Functionality. It’s important to take a step back before purchasing your lights to figure out what your end goal is for that specific area, as implementing a certain type of lighting fixture into a room can significantly greatly impact the space’s function of the space. Think about using accent lighting to show off special pieces of art and complement your decor, or use task lighting to help you work in your home office. Lighting ultimately serves a purpose, and each option will shine in different ways.
- Versatility. There’s nothing wrong with wanting a change of scenery, even if that means just switching things up a bit in your home. That’s why you’ll want to ensure your matching lighting collection can easily be replaced or used in different ways. If you’re looking to add lighting as decor, for example, projection laser lighting is a great option: All you need to do is turn on the lights to set the mood. And since these types of lights are easy to move around, you can place the portable projector outside for the neighborhood to enjoy a red and green Christmas laser light display, and then move it inside to provide a tranquil atmosphere for your yoga session.
- Room decor. Consider the decor already in your space as well. If a lighting fixture cannot be positioned where you want it given your current decor setup, you may need to move things around or pick a different design altogether. Your room decor may also impact your lighting material, color, and style choices.
- Installation. Take the time to make sure you have the capacity to properly illuminate your home the way you’re planning. Check your space for outlets if your lights need to be plugged in, account for proper floor or wall space for new fixtures, and consider the ease of accessibility for installation. You should choose lighting that’s easy to install unless you’re willing to spend ample time and personal energy on installation. Plug-in pendants or sconces, wireless battery operated lighting, and lamps are all options that are quick and easy to install while also making a huge difference in your lighting design.
Do's and don'ts of matching lights
If you still feel intimidated by all your matching light options, don’t fret. Check out these tips to better understand how you can achieve your desired lighting plan.
Matching lighting do's
- Do consider mixing and matching complementary materials. Don’t feel limited by one type of material throughout your entire room or home. Mix and match materials that complement one another for an interesting look. Believe it or not, metals and woods look great next to each other and create a modern yet rustic design. Different textures and finishes help boost the aesthetic of the room while offering sufficient lighting for your tasks.
- Do layer your light. Instead of using just an overhead light in your space, layer your lighting to add dimension and create a certain mood for your room. Your lighting layers can include task lights, lamps, and ambient lighting. You can arrange each light fixture to compliment your room’s decor and produce an illuminating, well-rounded room.
- Do create a lighting focal point. Whether your room already has a focal point or you have to choose one, focal points can readily catch guests’ attention and give your space an extra sense of elegance and sophistication. Use a chandelier, pendant light, or eccentric lamp to direct attention right to your focal point. Paintings, fireplaces, and art pieces are all great options to use as focal points with lighting to accompany.
- Do use a variety of colors. Include numerous matching colors in your room to add some variety while also remaining consistent in your lighting aesthetic. You can either choose lighting fixtures with the same design but get each fixture in a different color, or you can use multiple fixtures and colors. If your room color scheme is on the lighter side, incorporate whites, yellows, and even light blues to add some character. Consider trying the BlissLights BlissBulb to bring thousands of blue, green, or red twinkling stars right into your own space.
BlissBulb Laser LightBulb
Transforming your world is as easy as changing a lightbulb.
Matching lighting don'ts
- Don't try too many styles in one room. It can be easier to get carried away with trying to do too much in one room, especially with the vast amount of options available to choose from. However, with lighting, sometimes less is more. Too many styles can create chaos and distract from the functionality of the room, not to mention your other decor. When envisioning your lighting plan, start simple and add from there.
- Don't stray too far from your comfort zone. While there are light fixtures that are easy to install and move, many take time and effort to place. That’s why you should make sure the lighting you pick is best for your needs, installation skills, and taste. Keep in mind that once everything is installed, redoing your lights can be more burdensome, so don’t get carried away trying new things – after all, you do have to live with this lighting day after day.
- Don't select your lighting on looks alone. Although you may be tempted to go with the most extravagant and unique fixture in the store, you should first consider the functionality of the light. Even if you love the design, if the fixture doesn’t have the necessary brightness or color for your space, then it won’t be of much use. Determine what you need to accomplish in your space, choose a lighting fixture that fulfills this obligation, and then focus on style.
- Don't be too matchy-matchy. Matching your lighting collections allows you to customize the look and feel of your home to fit your personality and taste. However, too much matching may take away from the tone you’re trying to set and appear over-the-top. Don’t drown your space in one color or design, as doing so will divert attention from the function of the room. Instead, keep things balanced, tasteful, and aesthetically pleasing.
- Don't be afraid to try something new. As previously mentioned, change is good and sometimes even necessary. If you’re planning on updating your lighting, why not try something different? A new design can transform your space by bringing forth a fresh look with bright vibes. Your space might feel upgraded, and your atmosphere and mood will change too. Among the new things you can try are lasers such as the BlissLights Ark Ambient Aurora Light – shine a soothing aurora around your room and relax with soft floating nebula clouds.
ARK Aurora Light
Transcend reality with a moving abstract aurora.
Add to your matching lighting collection with BlissLightsIf you’re looking to refine your lighting style on display with just a few easy changes, our laser lights here at BlissLights might be just what you’re looking for. Whether you’re trying to expand your room’s functionality or change its ambiance, matching lighting in exciting colors and displays can keep things interesting and fresh. Our laser lights are a fun and unique way to achieve both these missions, and they require no hard work when it comes to installation. Browse our collection now to find your perfect matching lighting.
You may also enjoy these...
Discover fun and unique lighting ideas on the BlissLights Lighting Blog!
How to connect a smart device to 2.4GHz WiFi
Thu, Mar 23, 23
Romantic Valentine's Day Home Decor Ideas
Fri, Dec 30, 22
10 Self Care Ideas You'll Thank Yourself For
Mon, Dec 26, 22
12 New Year's Resolutions for Your Home
Fri, Dec 23, 22
9 Studio Apartment Decorating Ideas on a Budget
Mon, Dec 19, 22
How to Incorporate Meditation Into Your Daily Life
Fri, Dec 16, 22
7 of the Coolest Winter Birthday Party Themes
Fri, Dec 09, 22
8 Ways to Celebrate Galentine's Day
Mon, Dec 05, 22
6 Winning Super Bowl Party Decorating Ideas
Fri, Dec 02, 22
10 Cozy Living Room Christmas Decor Ideas
Mon, Nov 28, 22
The Ultimate White Elephant Party Guide
Fri, Nov 25, 22
11 Holiday Gift Exchange Theme Ideas for Festive Fun
Fri, Nov 18, 22
The Best DIY Advent Calendar Ideas (+ The Top Filler Items)
Mon, Nov 14, 22
15 Office Holiday Party Ideas: Themes, Gifts, Games & More
Fri, Nov 11, 22
The Ultimate List of Secret Santa Gift Ideas
Fri, Nov 04, 22
How to Decorate a Party Tent Made Simple
Mon, Oct 31, 22
What to Put in a Housewarming Basket for New Homeowners
Fri, Oct 28, 22
The Ultimate List of Family Game Night Ideas for All Ages
Mon, Oct 24, 22
8 Cube Shelf Decor Ideas + 4 Cube Shelf Styling Tips
Fri, Oct 21, 22
Pet Photoshoot Ideas: How To Get the Perfect Shot
Fri, Oct 14, 22
13 Fun Double Date Ideas to Mix Things Up
Mon, Oct 10, 22
16 Thoughtful Gift Ideas for a Photographer
Fri, Oct 07, 22
12 Man Cave Ideas and Essentials To Upgrade Your Space
Mon, Sep 26, 22
13 Simple Modern Balcony Lighting Ideas + Design Tips
Fri, Sep 23, 22
13 Themed Homecoming Party Ideas for 2022
Mon, Sep 19, 22
11 Festive Fall Lighting Ideas + Design Tips For Your Home
Fri, Sep 16, 22
6 Mantel Decor Ideas With a TV
Mon, Sep 12, 22
9 Stylish Stairway Lighting Ideas
Fri, Sep 09, 22
7 Indoor Halloween Lighting Ideas for a Spooky Vibe
Mon, Sep 05, 22
How to Host a 'Hocus Pocus'-Themed Party | BlissLights
Fri, Sep 02, 22
9 Smart Lighting Ideas To Reshape Your Home
Fri, Aug 26, 22
10 Simply Chic Small Salon Decor Ideas That You Must Use
Mon, Aug 22, 22
14 Selfie Wall Ideas for the Perfect Post
Fri, Aug 12, 22
16 Must-Have Gifts for Influencers That They Will Love
Fri, Aug 05, 22
9 DIY Wardrobe Closet Ideas to Build The Ultimate Closet
Wed, Jul 27, 22
Warm Lighting vs. Cool Lighting: What's the Difference?
Mon, Jul 25, 22
Lighting for Tall Ceilings – 7 Ways to Brighten Your Home
Fri, Jul 22, 22
12 Baby Gender Reveal Ideas To Get Excited About
Mon, Jul 18, 22
9 Cohesive Design Tips to Connect Each Room in Your Home
Fri, Jul 15, 22