When it comes to decorating your home, the lighting you choose is essential for creating a welcoming space for you and your family. Matching lighting collections can both illuminate your home and elevate your space by adding design and flair. Some lighting is sold as a matching set, such as a floor lamp with two side lamps, but not every situation calls for that precise a matching lighting collection. For those scenarios, you’ll want to build your own matching lighting collection that best suits your home. To help you pick your ideal lighting collections, we here at BlissLights have assembled a guide full of useful tips.
How to choose a matching lighting collection
Once you’ve decided to transform your home into the ultimate cozy, inviting, and comfortable space, it’s important that you take certain factors into consideration before you purchase your light fixtures. Think about these points to steer you in the right direction:
- Functionality. It’s important to take a step back before purchasing your lights to figure out what your end goal is for that specific area, as implementing a certain type of lighting fixture into a room can significantly greatly impact the space’s function of the space. Think about using accent lighting to show off special pieces of art and complement your decor, or use task lighting to help you work in your home office. Lighting ultimately serves a purpose, and each option will shine in different ways.
- Versatility. There’s nothing wrong with wanting a change of scenery, even if that means just switching things up a bit in your home. That’s why you’ll want to ensure your matching lighting collection can easily be replaced or used in different ways. If you’re looking to add lighting as decor, for example, projection laser lighting is a great option: All you need to do is turn on the lights to set the mood. And since these types of lights are easy to move around, you can place the portable projector outside for the neighborhood to enjoy a red and green Christmas laser light display, and then move it inside to provide a tranquil atmosphere for your yoga session.
- Room decor. Consider the decor already in your space as well. If a lighting fixture cannot be positioned where you want it given your current decor setup, you may need to move things around or pick a different design altogether. Your room decor may also impact your lighting material, color, and style choices.
- Installation. Take the time to make sure you have the capacity to properly illuminate your home the way you’re planning. Check your space for outlets if your lights need to be plugged in, account for proper floor or wall space for new fixtures, and consider the ease of accessibility for installation. You should choose lighting that’s easy to install unless you’re willing to spend ample time and personal energy on installation. Plug-in pendants or sconces, wireless battery operated lighting, and lamps are all options that are quick and easy to install while also making a huge difference in your lighting design.
Do's and don'ts of matching lights
If you still feel intimidated by all your matching light options, don’t fret. Check out these tips to better understand how you can achieve your desired lighting plan.
Matching lighting do's
- Do consider mixing and matching complementary materials. Don’t feel limited by one type of material throughout your entire room or home. Mix and match materials that complement one another for an interesting look. Believe it or not, metals and woods look great next to each other and create a modern yet rustic design. Different textures and finishes help boost the aesthetic of the room while offering sufficient lighting for your tasks.
- Do layer your light. Instead of using just an overhead light in your space, layer your lighting to add dimension and create a certain mood for your room. Your lighting layers can include task lights, lamps, and ambient lighting. You can arrange each light fixture to compliment your room’s decor and produce an illuminating, well-rounded room.
- Do create a lighting focal point. Whether your room already has a focal point or you have to choose one, focal points can readily catch guests’ attention and give your space an extra sense of elegance and sophistication. Use a chandelier, pendant light, or eccentric lamp to direct attention right to your focal point. Paintings, fireplaces, and art pieces are all great options to use as focal points with lighting to accompany.
- Do use a variety of colors. Include numerous matching colors in your room to add some variety while also remaining consistent in your lighting aesthetic. You can either choose lighting fixtures with the same design but get each fixture in a different color, or you can use multiple fixtures and colors. If your room color scheme is on the lighter side, incorporate whites, yellows, and even light blues to add some character. Consider trying the BlissLights BlissBulb to bring thousands of blue, green, or red twinkling stars right into your own space.
BlissBulb Laser LightBulb
Transforming your world is as easy as changing a lightbulb.
Matching lighting don'ts
- Don't try too many styles in one room. It can be easier to get carried away with trying to do too much in one room, especially with the vast amount of options available to choose from. However, with lighting, sometimes less is more. Too many styles can create chaos and distract from the functionality of the room, not to mention your other decor. When envisioning your lighting plan, start simple and add from there.
- Don't stray too far from your comfort zone. While there are light fixtures that are easy to install and move, many take time and effort to place. That’s why you should make sure the lighting you pick is best for your needs, installation skills, and taste. Keep in mind that once everything is installed, redoing your lights can be more burdensome, so don’t get carried away trying new things – after all, you do have to live with this lighting day after day.
- Don't select your lighting on looks alone. Although you may be tempted to go with the most extravagant and unique fixture in the store, you should first consider the functionality of the light. Even if you love the design, if the fixture doesn’t have the necessary brightness or color for your space, then it won’t be of much use. Determine what you need to accomplish in your space, choose a lighting fixture that fulfills this obligation, and then focus on style.
- Don't be too matchy-matchy. Matching your lighting collections allows you to customize the look and feel of your home to fit your personality and taste. However, too much matching may take away from the tone you’re trying to set and appear over-the-top. Don’t drown your space in one color or design, as doing so will divert attention from the function of the room. Instead, keep things balanced, tasteful, and aesthetically pleasing.
- Don't be afraid to try something new. As previously mentioned, change is good and sometimes even necessary. If you’re planning on updating your lighting, why not try something different? A new design can transform your space by bringing forth a fresh look with bright vibes. Your space might feel upgraded, and your atmosphere and mood will change too. Among the new things you can try are lasers such as the BlissLights Ark Ambient Aurora Light – shine a soothing aurora around your room and relax with soft floating nebula clouds.
ARK Aurora Light
Transcend reality with a moving abstract aurora.
Add to your matching lighting collection with BlissLightsIf you’re looking to refine your lighting style on display with just a few easy changes, our laser lights here at BlissLights might be just what you’re looking for. Whether you’re trying to expand your room’s functionality or change its ambiance, matching lighting in exciting colors and displays can keep things interesting and fresh. Our laser lights are a fun and unique way to achieve both these missions, and they require no hard work when it comes to installation. Browse our collection now to find your perfect matching lighting.
You may also enjoy these...
Discover fun and unique lighting ideas on the BlissLights Lighting Blog!
DIY Bathroom Lighting Ideas That Will Transform Your Space
Fri, Nov 26, 21
12 Light Blue and Silver Bedroom Ideas for a Luxury Feel
Mon, Nov 22, 21
20 Cute Room Aesthetic Ideas to Create Your Dream Space
Fri, Nov 19, 21
8 Best Party Laser Lights for Both Home and Venue
Fri, Nov 12, 21
21 Party Decoration Ideas For Adults That You'll Love
Fri, Nov 05, 21
The 14 Best Stocking Stuffer Ideas for Gamers
Mon, Nov 01, 21
Space Theme Party Ideas That Will Rock Your Universe
Mon, Oct 25, 21
How To Choose Lighting For Your Home
Fri, Oct 22, 21
Kids Room Lighting Ideas That Will Spark Joy
Mon, Oct 18, 21
7 Loft Lighting Ideas to Transform Your Home
Fri, Oct 15, 21
Your Guide on Where to Buy A Galaxy Projector
Mon, Oct 11, 21
What is a Galaxy Projector, and Why You Should Get One
Fri, Oct 08, 21
How Much Does a Galaxy Projector Cost?
Wed, Oct 06, 21
20 Christmas Tree Alternatives That Won’t Break The Bank
Mon, Oct 04, 21
11 Galaxy Bedroom Accessories That Will Elevate Your Space
Fri, Oct 01, 21
How To Transform Your Place On A Budget
Mon, Sep 27, 21
15 Creative and Inspiring Ideas For a Spare Room
Mon, Sep 20, 21
15 Gifts For Space Lovers That Are Out of This Galaxy
Fri, Sep 17, 21
Are Star Projectors Good For Sleep? Here's What We Know
Mon, Sep 13, 21
12 Decorative Dorm Room Ideas for Girls to Get Inspired
Fri, Sep 10, 21
9 Cool Dorm Room Ideas For Guys to Get Inspired
Mon, Sep 06, 21
13 Holiday Gifts For Gamers They'll Love Year-Round
Fri, Sep 03, 21
Sky Lite Vs Sky Lite 2.0: What Is The Real Difference?
Wed, Sep 01, 21
12 Lighting for Small Spaces to Make Them Feel Larger
Fri, Aug 27, 21
13 Dining Room Lighting Trends To Create a Stylish Space
Mon, Aug 23, 21
13 Indoor Decorative Lights to Jazz Up Your Space
Fri, Aug 20, 21
Back-To-Work Office Decor That Adds Personality To Your Desk
Mon, Aug 16, 21
12 Ways To Add Color To A Room Without Painting
Fri, Aug 13, 21
13 Great Giveaway Ideas For Gamers
Fri, Aug 06, 21
Feeling Tired? 10 Ideas to Create Your Spa Day at Home
Wed, Aug 04, 21
14 Balcony Decor Ideas To Transform Your Outdoor Space
Mon, Aug 02, 21
Is BlissLights Worth It? Yes, and Here’s Why
Mon, Jul 26, 21
Why Are Color-Changing Lights So Popular?
Fri, Jul 23, 21
11 Best Lights For TikTok To Up Your Social Media Presence
Fri, Jul 16, 21
Staycation Ideas That are Better and Cheaper Than Going Away
Mon, Jul 12, 21
The Nine Best Stage Lights To Liven Up Any Performance
Fri, Jul 09, 21
Halloween Lighting Ideas That Create a Spooky Atmosphere
Wed, Jul 07, 21
Colorful RGB Lights For All Kinds Of Room Decor
Mon, Jul 05, 21
Home Music Studio Essentials Every Music Producer Needs
Fri, Jul 02, 21
12 Popular Lighting Ideas That Are Worth the Hype
Wed, Jun 30, 21
How Can You Use Your BlissLights?
Fri, Jun 25, 21
Game Room Ideas On A Budget That Won't Hurt Your Wallet
Mon, Jun 21, 21
9 Gaming Room Accessories To Add To Your Setup
Fri, Jun 18, 21
Where Should You Use Your BlissLights?
Mon, Jun 14, 21
8 Music Room Ideas to Get You in the Groove
Fri, Jun 11, 21