After a long week, all you want to do is spend the weekend relaxing and decompressing with one of your favorite hobbies: crafting. Maybe your creative juices are flowing and you’re already in the mood to create something beautiful. But as you’re making your art, you notice that it’s taking extra effort just to see – your room is too dimly lit. The below guide to the best lighting for a craft room can help you solve this problem and make your space creative and comforting.
8 craft room lighting ideas
Does your craft room have a large window with lots of natural lighting yet still feel dark at night? Or is your craft room in the basement and you feel like you're knitting in a dungeon? Don’t let the location or time of day stop you from bringing your artistic vision to life. Transform your craft room into the ultimate space for designing and creating with these helpful task lighting tips.
1. A dimmable floor lamp
Crafts are a seemingly limitless category. From stitching your very own gown with a sewing machine to transforming clay into earrings, there’s something for everyone. All crafting hobbies, though, have one thing in common: A need for adequate lighting. With a dimmable floor lamp, you can adjust the brightness and transform your surroundings however you need for your crafts.
For those small details that require a bit more attention, turn the lamp up. When the weather outside is gloomy and natural daylight just doesn’t do the trick, dial up the lamp even more. When the sun is shining bright, dim the light and let the sun fill your room with warmth, comfort, and clear visibility. Your crafts will only benefit.
2. A ring light
You don’t have to be a social media influencer or content creator to use a ring light. In fact, ring lights can be a game-changer for crafting in dimly lit rooms. If your ceiling light fixture casts a warm yellow shade, a ring light can eliminate dark spots where your ceiling lights can’t reach. It can also brighten the room without casting any shadows on your craft. Its special circular design shines diffused lighting evenly so you can see everything as clear as day.
3. An LED adjustable table lamp
Hunching over a table for hours to make the most of your minimal lighting can quickly get uncomfortable. Instead of positioning yourself to fit the lamp, why not position the lamp to fit you? With an energy-efficient LED desk lamp, you can easily adjust your lighting to fit your needs. Many adjustable table lamps can be raised, lowered, and set on an angle. These lamps provide a hassle-free way to illuminate your creative space.
A great mood-setting alternative to an adjustable LED table lamp is the BlissRadia ambient light. You can arrange the BlissRadia upright like a desk lamp or flat for a more novel touch. You can also control the BlissRadia’s dozens of effects and millions of colors right from your phone. It’s the light of your dreams for transforming your craft room into a calming space of creativity and comfort. You’ll see your latest project in a whole new light.
BlissRadia Smart LED Mood Light
From desktop to bedside, light the way to concentration, stimulation, or relaxation.
4. A gooseneck desk lamp
Good lighting brightens your craft room and boasts versatility that aids with all sorts of craft projects. Enter gooseneck desk lamps, which come in different styles and mainly use LED bulbs. The flexible gooseneck desk lamp gives you the ability to adjust the position of the light bulb in any direction. That means you can focus on the center of your craft desk when you start crafting and the edges of your design afterward.
A gooseneck lamp can also be a great home for a BlissBulb. These bulbs fit in ordinary light sockets and transform your craft room into an abyss of colorful laser stars. Under your green or red starry skies, inspiration for your latest craft project might be just moments away. When you bring the universe to you, you bring out your innermost creativity too. It’s the best of all worlds.
BlissBulb Laser LightBulb
Transforming your world is as easy as changing a lightbulb.
5. Battery-driven stick-on light
Maybe your craft area is overflowing with fabric, paint, and other tools. If your craft area is already tight on space or you’re leaving abundant open space for supplies, a compact fixture may be helpful. Battery-driven stick-on LED lighting attaches right to your walls, leaving all your desk and floor space open. Just peel and stick to brighten your craft room in seconds without taking up precious space for tools and supplies.
6. A clamp-on light
Desk space is important for crafting, but it’s not always abundant. Stick-on lights address this concern, but their one drawback is that you can’t adjust their angle to shine directly on your craft. A clamp-on light adds this extra feature while retaining the compactness that makes stick-on lights so special. Use your clamp-on light at your desk’s corner to illuminate your crafting without taking up any tabletop space. Goodbye darkness, hello ultimate crafting.
7. A magnifying clamp light
Take that clamp-on light to the next level with fixtures that combine clamping convenience and powerful magnification. This extra feature helps you tackle intricate detailing without all the squinting. It’s both a light and a way to expand the very horizons of your crafting. Under its illumination and magnification, you can embroider, thread a needle, place small rhinestones, and paint details with no problem.
8. BlissLights projector
The perfect craft room lighting doesn’t necessarily have to help you see. Sure, this notion might sound counterproductive at first, but think about it: How often does task lighting inspire you? How often does it create a space where creativity and comfort are celebrated in equal measure? How often does it transform your surroundings into a tranquil sanctuary?
Chances are your answer to all these questions is infrequently. With the Sky Lite Evolve Galaxy Projector, though, you can craft in astonishment and awe. Imagine knitting a scarf under a mesmerizing nebula of sparkling stars and floating clouds? With the Sky Lite 2.0’s red, green, or blue clouds, you can do just that. You can also control the light from your phone so you never have to leave the craft desk. Your crafting will take you miles away without you moving an inch.
Sky Lite Evolve: Smart Galaxy Projector
The latest evolution in smart galaxy lighting.
What to consider when choosing lights for your craft room
Now that you know which light fixtures that can enhance your crafting experience, you can more easily choose which one is right for you. That choice comes down to several factors. In fact, as you compare and contrast the best lighting for your craft room, you should take the following into consideration.
- Light output. Every light fixture will emit a different amount of lighting, so think about how much lighting you need before buying something new. Namely, you should consider a value known as light output or lumens. This figure describes the total quantity of visible light emanating from a source. Depending on your needs and the size of your room, certain bulbs may be better equipped for your projects than others.
- Energy source. Do you have easy access to an outlet? Do you need something that will run on batteries? Think about the energy source you’ll need to use. Doing so will help you decide whether you should get a table lamp, a stick-on light, or something else.
- Warm or cold lighting. In crafting (and really, in all things lighting), color temperature matters. While warm lighting is cozy and soothing, it might not be the best when you need to be productive. A cooler color temperature can promote concentration and make it easier to complete your crafting tasks.
- Position stability. If your craft light fixture must be propped up with objects just to get the right angle, you probably need something else. Choose a craft light that can hold its position without any assistance. Options include a desk lamp with a flexible neck, an adjustable table lamp, or so many other types of lighting. If you’re out of ideas, just consult the list above.
- Functionality: A super unique and eccentric fixture might be calling your name, but that doesn’t make it a functional fit. It’s more important to ask yourself: Is just a flush mount on the ceiling enough? Do you need extra task lighting? Think about your upcoming projects and what would best illuminate the room for these crafts.
- Durability: In a craft room, supplies are constantly getting tossed around. Don’t let that notion slip your mind when choosing your lamps. Look at the materials used for the fixture and try to pick something durable. While a glass lamp might be chic, all it takes is one bump off the table for it to need replacing.
- Affordability: Although your lighting should be durable, bright, and aesthetically pleasing, you also want to stay within your budget. Don’t get carried away with the fancy fixtures, but don’t shortchange yourself either. As you plan your craft room, try to budget for a high-quality fixture that won’t break the bank.
- Ease of installation: New fixtures can take time and effort to install, and that’s important to keep in mind as you choose among your many craft lighting options. Track lighting is great for tasks, but you might need a professional electrician to set it up. If you want something simple, a plug-in lamp may be the way to go. Or maybe a laser projector is best – they can amplify your creativity and comfort with just the push of a button.
Let your creativity run wild with BlissLights
Proper lighting can make all the difference in your craft room. Adding some illumination can help you go from straining your eyes to painting mini-charms with ease. And to elevate your crafting experience with mood-enhancing light projections, BlissLights can transform your surroundings and inspire your creativity. Browse the BlissLights collection to find lighting that celebrates your creativity and uplifts your craft.
You may also enjoy these...
Discover fun and unique lighting ideas on the BlissLights Lighting Blog!
How to connect a smart device to 2.4GHz WiFi
Thu, Mar 23, 23
Romantic Valentine's Day Home Decor Ideas
Fri, Dec 30, 22
10 Self Care Ideas You'll Thank Yourself For
Mon, Dec 26, 22
12 New Year's Resolutions for Your Home
Fri, Dec 23, 22
9 Studio Apartment Decorating Ideas on a Budget
Mon, Dec 19, 22
How to Incorporate Meditation Into Your Daily Life
Fri, Dec 16, 22
7 of the Coolest Winter Birthday Party Themes
Fri, Dec 09, 22
8 Ways to Celebrate Galentine's Day
Mon, Dec 05, 22
6 Winning Super Bowl Party Decorating Ideas
Fri, Dec 02, 22
10 Cozy Living Room Christmas Decor Ideas
Mon, Nov 28, 22
The Ultimate White Elephant Party Guide
Fri, Nov 25, 22
11 Holiday Gift Exchange Theme Ideas for Festive Fun
Fri, Nov 18, 22
The Best DIY Advent Calendar Ideas (+ The Top Filler Items)
Mon, Nov 14, 22
15 Office Holiday Party Ideas: Themes, Gifts, Games & More
Fri, Nov 11, 22
The Ultimate List of Secret Santa Gift Ideas
Fri, Nov 04, 22
How to Decorate a Party Tent Made Simple
Mon, Oct 31, 22
What to Put in a Housewarming Basket for New Homeowners
Fri, Oct 28, 22
The Ultimate List of Family Game Night Ideas for All Ages
Mon, Oct 24, 22
8 Cube Shelf Decor Ideas + 4 Cube Shelf Styling Tips
Fri, Oct 21, 22
Pet Photoshoot Ideas: How To Get the Perfect Shot
Fri, Oct 14, 22
13 Fun Double Date Ideas to Mix Things Up
Mon, Oct 10, 22
16 Thoughtful Gift Ideas for a Photographer
Fri, Oct 07, 22
12 Man Cave Ideas and Essentials To Upgrade Your Space
Mon, Sep 26, 22
13 Simple Modern Balcony Lighting Ideas + Design Tips
Fri, Sep 23, 22
13 Themed Homecoming Party Ideas for 2022
Mon, Sep 19, 22
11 Festive Fall Lighting Ideas + Design Tips For Your Home
Fri, Sep 16, 22
6 Mantel Decor Ideas With a TV
Mon, Sep 12, 22
9 Stylish Stairway Lighting Ideas
Fri, Sep 09, 22
7 Indoor Halloween Lighting Ideas for a Spooky Vibe
Mon, Sep 05, 22
How to Host a 'Hocus Pocus'-Themed Party | BlissLights
Fri, Sep 02, 22
9 Smart Lighting Ideas To Reshape Your Home
Fri, Aug 26, 22
10 Simply Chic Small Salon Decor Ideas That You Must Use
Mon, Aug 22, 22
14 Selfie Wall Ideas for the Perfect Post
Fri, Aug 12, 22
16 Must-Have Gifts for Influencers That They Will Love
Fri, Aug 05, 22
9 DIY Wardrobe Closet Ideas to Build The Ultimate Closet
Wed, Jul 27, 22
Warm Lighting vs. Cool Lighting: What's the Difference?
Mon, Jul 25, 22
Lighting for Tall Ceilings – 7 Ways to Brighten Your Home
Fri, Jul 22, 22
12 Baby Gender Reveal Ideas To Get Excited About
Mon, Jul 18, 22
9 Cohesive Design Tips to Connect Each Room in Your Home
Fri, Jul 15, 22