Did you know that colors can impact your sleep? The right hue can deliver you straight to Dreamland, or the wrong one can make you toss and turn. How that light behaves also makes a difference -- a soft, twinkling light can be more relaxing than one at full brightness disrupting your ability to sleep. Star projectors can be a great way to incorporate calming colors into your nightly routine for better sleep. Here’s how.
What is a star projector?
A star projector is a lighting device, often laser-powered, that shines stars on your walls and ceiling. Often, a star projector offers several light modes, color options, brightness levels, and a sleep timer. Occasionally, you can also get a built-in speaker or remote control with your star projector. No matter their features, these lights are the best way to enjoy the magic of starry nights in a dark room, without ever stepping outside.
Are star projectors good for sleep?
Yes! Star projectors may be able to help you sleep. That’s because:
- Star projectors are relaxing. Green stars can be especially good for relaxation. That’s because green light can react with melanopsin, a sleep hormone the body produces naturally. And, of course, getting great sleep regularly helps you stay relaxed, which is key to falling asleep. It’s a beautiful cycle that the transcendental sights of colorful stars can accelerate.
- The right light can put you in a good mood. Imagine being angry or stressed come bedtime. That’s no way to fall asleep – you’ll probably wind up tossing and turning instead. Blue stars can help, as blue light can provide calming effects during highly stressful moments. If your star projector can shine in blue, you might have an easier time mentally transporting yourself to dreamland without all that rolling around.
- Colors can influence your mindset. If your star projector can shine red stars, then you might be in luck. Red light is correlated with better sleep, though the reasons underlying this connection are up for debate. The working theory is that red light’s long wavelength doesn’t stimulate the eyes. This lack of stimulation can lessen the chances that something will keep your brain awake even when your body needs rest.
The best star projectors for sleep
Remember when you were a kid and counting sheep helped you fall asleep? Now, you can do the same thing with stars instead. Starry lights, galaxy projectors, and aurora projectors all fall under the star projector umbrella. You’ll find each of these categories represented in the below star projector best picks.
1. StarPort Laser USB
This starry light is as simple as it gets – it’s basically a set of lasers on the end of a flexible USB cable. And thanks to the StarPort Laser USB, you can take great sleep with you wherever you go.
But why is this star projector good for sleep, you ask? For starters, it comes in red, blue, or green, all colors with the potential sleep-enhancing effects named above. It’s also the easiest to set up right next to your bed – just connect the USB cable to a wall charger, then plug it in. You’ll instantly see hundreds of tiny laser stars, and you can bend the cable to point the stars at your walls or ceiling. It’s the easiest way to transform your space and mind for better sleep.
Here’s what our customers have to say about StarPort:
- “Put it in my bedroom, just love ...so calming and seems like living in a fantasy world :)”—Mughees B., 09/15/2021
- “This adds such a cool effect to my dorm room. This would also be great for small kids to pretend to look at stars. I got the blue light, and it has such a relaxing effect and is a great way to wind down before bed.”—Erika N., 09/11/2021
- “I ordered 4 of these, and would still order more. They’re adorable, extremely easy to use, and a great price!”—Chelsea H., 08/12/2021
StarPort USB Light
One tiny light. Thousands of stars!
Imagine swapping out your typical overhead lights for starry skies. That might make getting to sleep a lot easier. And it’s 100% possible with the BlissBulb, which fits in all standard light bulb sockets. Use it in ceiling fixtures for a top-down starry sky effect. Add it to your favorite floor or table lamp to see your ceiling in a whole new light.
The BlissBulb can project red or green stationary stars, both of which are sleep friendly colors. Get ready for your most wonderful night of sleep in ages.
Here’s what customers say about the BlissBulb:
- “My nephew sometimes has a hard time sleeping in his own room, and also has trouble falling/staying asleep. This light bulb works wonders! He thinks it’s so cool, and it also helps calm him down. He sleeps in his own room & sleeps through the night more often now!”—Rachel V., 09/06/2021
- “Love it!!! I left it on all night (last night), it makes my ceiling looks cute and somehow, someway makes me fall asleep faster.”—Laura C., 06/27/2021
- “My boys use it as a night light; it’s great.”—family, 06/09/2021
BlissBulb Laser LightBulb
Transforming your world is as easy as changing a lightbulb.
3. Ark Ambient Aurora Light
The Ark Ambient Aurora Light projects a gently oscillating aurora against a backdrop for a truly stunning sight. Since it shines in both blue and green, it produces two potentially relaxing colors, making it the ultimate aurora night light projector. It also has adjustable brightness, an auto six-hour shut-off timer, and a rotating arc design so you can see your room on your own terms. And then, you can fall asleep more easily.
To use the Ark, just plug it in near your bed, then place it on your nightstand and turn it on. You can then adjust its brightness and effects with just the push of a button, and the base is super simple to adjust as well. There’s never been an easier way to see the northern lights – and get some shut-eye – right from the comforts of home.
Ark owners have this to say about it:
- “This skylight produces beautiful visuals and is nothing like I’ve ever seen. With the adjustable brightness and visual settings it’s easy to change the tone of the room. No noise whatsoever.”—Chelsea M., 03/09/2021
- “Overall, a fantastic product that is portable, impressive, and perfect for setting a calm relaxing mood in any room.”—Dan, 12/15/2020
- “Wonderful, simple to install, love the soothing atmosphere it creates in the room.” —Anonymous, 06/28/2021
ARK Aurora Light
Transcend reality with a moving abstract aurora.
4. Sky Lite Laser Galaxy Projector
With the beloved BlissLights Sky Lite laser projector, you can project a universe or moving blue or green laser stars against wondrous blue nebula clouds. The colors themselves are great for sleep, and the calm of watching a brilliant nighttime sky as it gently moves can get you really sleepy. The Sky Lite includes several adjustable brightness settings, light effects, and an auto six-hour timer. This way, you can shine just the amount of light you need for sleep.
The Sky Lite works just like the Ark – plug it in, place it bedside, then see new worlds with the push of a button. Here’s why customers (and TikTokkers) love it:
- “I have given this gorgeous nightlight for 3 different loved ones. It’s unique, fun, colorful and relaxing. An unusual gift that people actually like! It’s a great gift for adults and children, you can’t go wrong with this one!”—Angela W., 09/18/2021
- “I [use] this light all the time so I can relax and it does just that.”—Joseph J., 09/15/2021
- “Gorgeous and relaxing lighting. My room feels so chill now”—Danielle, 09/08/2020
Sky Lite Galaxy Projector
Shine a galaxy of moving stars and a blue nebula cloud.
5. Sky Lite 2.0: Galaxy Projector (App Control)
The Sky Lite 2.0 takes the best features of the original Sky Lite to the next level. You can connect your Sky Lite 2.0 to the BlissLights mobile app to easily control your nebula colors, brightness levels, effects, and adjustable auto-timer. Its nebula cloud can shine in three colors at once, with sevenmodes to choose from. You can easily find the sleep color combos best for you, and then, you can store your favorite combinations in the BlissLights app for future use.
That’s right – the Sky Lite 2.0 is truly your own in a way no other star projector can be. Plus, you can create your own custom effects and share your creations with others – all it takes is the tap of a screen. No matter how your galaxies look, your stars will always be a sleep-friendly cobalt blue. Take in the sights, then close your eyes – drifting off to another state of mind has never been easier.
Here’s why users love the Sky Lite 2.0:
- “Very nice night light!!”—Aef1990, 09/18/2021
- “The stars are blue, which is amazing because most others use green stars. … really calming… who doesn’t want to stare at the night sky in bed. Especially on those nights where you can’t fall asleep.”—Roberta, 07/20/2021
- “I got this for my son and as soon as we turned it on I felt so relaxed. It’s so magical!”—Samantha, 06/22/2021
Sky Lite 2.0: Galaxy Projector (App Control)
Shine a galaxy of moving stars and a vibrant multicolor cloud.
BlissLights are great for sleepWhen you need a star projector that relaxes you and readies you for sleep, BlissLights has you (and your walls and ceiling) covered. All five of the above star projectors come with colors, patterns, and timers that can be great for sleep. They’re also easy to use and stash right on your nightstand. Get a BlissLights star projector today for way better sleep tomorrow – you truly have to see it to believe it.
You may also enjoy these...
Discover fun and unique lighting ideas on the BlissLights Lighting Blog!
The 6 Best Plug In Motion Sensor Lights
Mon, Jan 10, 22
7 Cool Mood Lighting Ideas You Should Try
Fri, Jan 07, 22
The 8 Best Night Lights to Keep You Out of the Dark
Wed, Jan 05, 22
25 DIY Dorm Room Decor Ideas For You to Try Next Semester
Mon, Jan 03, 22
6 Gaming Desk Lights To Amplify Your Setup
Fri, Dec 31, 21
9 Unique Ambient Lights For Your Room
Mon, Dec 27, 21
20 Dorm Gifts for Guys That He'll Definitely Appreciate
Fri, Dec 24, 21
9 Fancy Night Lights for an Instant Room Upgrade
Mon, Dec 20, 21
12 New Years Eve Theme Party Ideas to Start the New Year
Fri, Dec 17, 21
10 De-Stress Activities for College Students
Mon, Dec 13, 21
30 Gifts for Young Teen Boys They'll Actually Want
Fri, Dec 10, 21
Reading Lights for Bedrooms: Best Tips for a Good Read
Wed, Dec 01, 21
DIY Bathroom Lighting Ideas That Will Transform Your Space
Fri, Nov 26, 21
12 Light Blue and Silver Bedroom Ideas for a Luxury Feel
Mon, Nov 22, 21
20 Cute Room Aesthetic Ideas to Create Your Dream Space
Fri, Nov 19, 21
8 Best Party Laser Lights for Both Home and Venue
Fri, Nov 12, 21
21 Party Decoration Ideas For Adults That You'll Love
Fri, Nov 05, 21
The 14 Best Stocking Stuffer Ideas for Gamers
Mon, Nov 01, 21
Space Theme Party Ideas That Will Rock Your Universe
Mon, Oct 25, 21
How To Choose Lighting For Your Home
Fri, Oct 22, 21
Kids Room Lighting Ideas That Will Spark Joy
Mon, Oct 18, 21
7 Loft Lighting Ideas to Transform Your Home
Fri, Oct 15, 21
Your Guide on Where to Buy A Galaxy Projector
Mon, Oct 11, 21
What is a Galaxy Projector, and Why You Should Get One
Fri, Oct 08, 21
How Much Does a Galaxy Projector Cost?
Wed, Oct 06, 21
20 Christmas Tree Alternatives That Won’t Break The Bank
Mon, Oct 04, 21
11 Galaxy Bedroom Accessories That Will Elevate Your Space
Fri, Oct 01, 21
How To Transform Your Place On A Budget
Mon, Sep 27, 21
15 Creative and Inspiring Ideas For a Spare Room
Mon, Sep 20, 21
15 Gifts For Space Lovers That Are Out of This Galaxy
Fri, Sep 17, 21
Are Star Projectors Good For Sleep? Here's What We Know
Mon, Sep 13, 21
12 Decorative Dorm Room Ideas for Girls to Get Inspired
Fri, Sep 10, 21
9 Cool Dorm Room Ideas For Guys to Get Inspired
Mon, Sep 06, 21
13 Holiday Gifts For Gamers They'll Love Year-Round
Fri, Sep 03, 21
Sky Lite Vs Sky Lite 2.0: What Is The Real Difference?
Wed, Sep 01, 21
12 Lighting for Small Spaces to Make Them Feel Larger
Fri, Aug 27, 21
13 Dining Room Lighting Trends To Create a Stylish Space
Mon, Aug 23, 21
13 Indoor Decorative Lights to Jazz Up Your Space
Fri, Aug 20, 21
Back-To-Work Office Decor That Adds Personality To Your Desk
Mon, Aug 16, 21
12 Ways To Add Color To A Room Without Painting
Fri, Aug 13, 21
13 Great Giveaway Ideas For Gamers
Fri, Aug 06, 21
Feeling Tired? 10 Ideas to Create Your Spa Day at Home
Wed, Aug 04, 21
14 Balcony Decor Ideas To Transform Your Outdoor Space
Mon, Aug 02, 21
Is BlissLights Worth It? Yes, and Here’s Why
Mon, Jul 26, 21
Why Are Color-Changing Lights So Popular?
Fri, Jul 23, 21