It’s not just the best gear that makes or breaks your video game room. From a comfortable chair to mood lighting that leaves players awestruck, the right decorations and themes can inspire you to keep your eyes on the prize. If you’re on the hunt for video game room ideas, BlissLights put together this guide to kick-start your plans.
How to set up your video game room
When deciding how to turn your video game room idea into a reality, take the following steps:
- Make your setup fit your room and vice versa. A video game room that’s on the smaller side might struggle to accommodate an oversized desk and jumbo monitors without feeling claustrophobic. If your room only has space for a supportive computer chair, high-quality speakers, and a high-resolution monitor, then don’t stretch your limits. That said, do try to leave at least some space for another person or two if you plan to invite friends over to play.
- Don’t skimp on speakers. Listening for enemy players’ footsteps in live immersive role-player games transports you right into the game. Without high-quality speakers, you might struggle to adequately hear other players on the hunt for you or competing for resources. If you choose wireless speakers, you can also get high sound quality without crowding your room with cords.
- Get a fully supportive gaming chair. A great gaming experience isn’t only about the game itself. It’s also about how your body feels as you play, and that’s why your gaming chair is so important. A chair that lacks the proper support for your back, neck, and arms might leave you feeling fatigued, hunched over, and sore.
- Don’t limit yourself to PC screens. If you’re interested in an especially immersive experience, you might get more of what you’re looking for with a large monitor (think TV-sized) or a projector. The former is great if you’re gaming on Xbox, Nintendo, or PlayStation instead of your PC, and the latter is excellent for all game room setups. That’s because projector displays are significantly more adjustable in size than monitors and thus let you experience your game on whatever scale you want. You can also skip the big table, as projectors can be aimed at any wall or jumbo screen.
- Hide the cords and cables. A high-tech video game room setup typically requires all kinds of cords and cables for power and device interconnectivity. These wires, though necessary, can make your room appear cluttered and unwelcoming (and they’re also tripping hazards). Hide these cords under rugs or behind your consoles to make your room safer and more aesthetically pleasing. You can also use cable management tools like ties and covers to keep them organized and out of sight.
- Light your room well. Ambient lighting (the light that comes from ceiling fixtures or floor lamps) should only be the start in your game room. You might also need task lighting such as table lamps to make your keyboard clearer. Accent lighting such as wall sconces that flank your gaming desk can make your setup appear more modern. And to truly elevate your video game room, laser lights and their beautiful colors and patterns bring the starry skies beyond Earth right into your four walls.
Sky Lite 2.0: Galaxy Projector (App Control)
Shine a galaxy of moving stars and a vibrant multicolor cloud.
Interested in more ideas for setting up your video game room? Read the BlissLights gamer setup guide to learn more.
Six video game room ideas
Now that you know the basic principles of video game room setup, you’re ready to determine which video game room ideas might be best for your space. The below six ideas are just a few examples of what you can do, but you’re truly only limited by your imagination!
1. Movie-themed room
If you’re using your TV or projector for gaming, then your gaming setup can also double as a miniature movie theater. This video game room idea is especially suitable for living rooms since you can use movie-themed gaming spaces for both adrenaline-pumping action games and heartwarming comedy flicks.
To make movies a theme and not just a function of your space, put up posters or tickets from your favorite films. Couple this video game room setup with figurines from your favorite film franchise. Bonus points if you add a popcorn machine and an old DVD player to go from “just a room” straight to the movies.
2. Color-themed room
Most walls in your house are probably painted a relatively unsurprising color, perhaps an off-white or dull grey shade. That’s why a color-themed gaming room can be so exciting. Deep red, bright blue, or pitch-black walls entirely change how your room feels, and that’s not just supposition – color’s mood effects are well-established. Couple your colored walls with decorating ideas in the same color palette, such as plants for a green-themed room.
If painting your walls feels too ambitious, you can always use lighting for ample color. Laser lights are especially useful in this realm since they fill a whole room with vivid, sharp patterns and colors. The BlissLights Ark Ambient Aurora Light, for example, immerses your gaming space in serene, wondrous blues and gently oscillating green auroras. It’s a great way to stick to your theme while bringing home an experience that usually lies thousands of miles away.
ARK Aurora Light
Transcend reality with a moving abstract aurora.
3. Retro library game room
For an especially quirky take on the classic game room, turn your space into a retro library. Fill your gaming room with vintage furniture and bookshelves, then fill your shelves with old-fashioned books and comics. If you can find comics from the same universe as your video games, then you’re truly winning this theme. And if you run out of shelf space, you can just sort some old magazines (and comics, of course) artistically on your vintage side tables.
4. Luxury game room
For a gaming experience that encompasses more than sitting in a chair uninterrupted for hours, add some luxuries that can help you feel like you’re being waited on hand and foot. A mini-fridge with your favorite sodas or a small snack cabinet with quick grab bags of chips keep quick treats nearby. Don’t be shy about adding to this luxury with the leather recliners and reading chairs you might normally see in a vintage reading room.
5. Budget game room
If you want to treat yourself but don’t quite have the money for it, wonderful things are still possible for your game room on a budget. While you shouldn’t look to cut costs on your gaming chair, speakers, or monitors, you can easily buy a gaming desk without breaking your bank. Same goes for decorations – wall shelves and tiny fake plants usually don’t cost much. Neither do certain types of lights that are great for video game rooms.
6. Interstellar game room
Your favorite games should remove you from the humdrum of your daily life for just a bit, and your gaming area should likewise take you far beyond the everyday. An interstellar game room design works wonders on this front. Its space-themed decorations, wall art, and lighting elevate your gaming experience well beyond what you normally experience here on Earth.
For an interstellar interior design approach in your game room, start with two or three posters of space illustrations or pictures. Then, hang a wall shelf large enough to hold a solar system diorama. And finally, for the ultimate intergalactic touch, add indoor laser lights.
With a BlissLights BlissBulb shining blue, red, or green starry skies in your video game room, your gaming setup will feel like it’s floating in space. Couple that with the BlissLights Sky Lite Laser Galaxy Projector, and you’ll find yourself traversing cloudy blue nebulas without moving at all. Pack this all into your pocket with the portable BlissLights StarPort Laser USB for on-the-go interstellar vibes, so your gaming setup stays galactic no matter your location.
StarPort USB Light
One tiny light. Thousands of stars!
Elevate your video game room with BlissLights
Video games are immersive experiences, so your video game room should be just as transportive. You’ll get partway there with basic video game setup equipment such as speakers and monitors, but lighting can truly take your gaming space to the next level.
While gaming under the jaw-dropping colors and patterns of BlissLights, you might find yourself transported somewhere else without actually going anywhere. Our lights have the same promise as video games: An unforgettable experience that takes you to another place while you’re mostly sitting still. Browse our collection today to find the perfect lighting to make your video game room ideas come to life!
Gaming Lights Bundle
Take your setup to the next level.
BlissLights Lighting Blog
Discover fun and unique lighting ideas on the BlissLights Lighting Blog!