After a hard day at work, you might just wanna climb into bed to get lost in a great book. Yet when you open your book, something seems off. Namely, there’s nowhere near enough lighting or – maybe worse – there’s so much light it’s blinding. With the right reading lights for bedrooms, you can fully immerse yourself in a good read without any distracting shadows or glares. Below are some great starter reading lights.
Reading lights for bedrooms: 10 suggestions
With just a few changes to your bedroom lighting, you can create a dream atmosphere perfect for reading. Go beyond everyday lighting and see what a difference some reading lights can make with the below fixtures.
1. Around-the-neck reading light
Reading lights can be wearable too. Around-the-neck reading lights are exactly what you think they are, and they shine a warm light from both their ends. You can typically control the light’s brightness and color temperature as well. This way, you can illuminate your book for easy reading no matter how dark it gets outside. Plus, you won’t have to worry about getting tangled in cords or shining your lights in your partner's face.
2. Bedside table lamp
A bedside lamp is a tried-and-true option when you’re looking for some extra illumination. A table lamp with various light settings can cast a warm glow during your bedside reading session that helps you avoid eye strain and headaches. Plus, there are endless lamp styles to choose from, so you can easily find one that showcases your personality. You’ll add some trendy decor to your room and get ample practical use.
3. Clip-on book reading light
Don’t have a bedside table for a reading lamp? Want a light you can easily move around? A fully adjustable clip-on book reading light might be just what you need. You can clip it onto a headboard, bookshelf, nightstand, or any other piece of furniture in your cozy reading nook. If there’s nothing around you to clip the accessory onto, go with a mini book light that can clip right onto the book itself. You’ll easily escape into your novel no matter where you go.
4. Wall mount reading light
A wall-mount reading light is perfect if you can’t fit a table lamp but would prefer something more permanent than a clip-on. Wall lamps save precious tabletop space, and you can often adjust them to point in any direction. For example, a wall mount with a flexible neck should provide ample brightness without it leaking into your partner's part of the bed. This way, you can get lost in a thrilling quest while your loved one dreams.
5. Gooseneck light
Reading requires a lot of concentration and focus – both from you and your lamp. Namely, with a regular floor lamp, your illumination isn’t directed toward any one point. The result could be shadows on your page that make it difficult to read. A gooseneck light lets you focus your reading light on just the right spot. Many gooseneck fixtures come with dimmers so you can decide exactly how you want to see the new world in front of you.
6. Wall sconce
Want to feel like a member of the royal family with something sleek and modern? An elegant wall sconce might be all you need. These lights bring classy and chic designs to your bedroom for the most fashionable reading experience. They won’t take up any extra space in your room, and some are even adjustable. This way, you can move your bulb around to fit your reading needs and turn your room into your own palace.
Sometimes all you need to brighten the place up for your reading pleasures is a unique night light. The BlissEmber brings this tranquil lighting to your space so you can fully relax and let go of any daily stresses. You can use it to create a serene atmosphere in seconds right from your phone screen. With millions of colors to choose from to spark inspiration and concentration, you can dive right into your novel and escape reality.
BlissEmber Smart Multicolor Night Light
A guiding light, a source of comfort, a way to transform your space.
8. Portable, dimmable light
Staying in one position for too long as you read can get pretty uncomfortable. But what if you need to be in a certain spot for ample lighting? With a portable, dimmable light, your reading light goes where you go, however you want it. Whether it’s gloomy and gray outside or you’ve stayed up past midnight to finish a chapter, you’ll always have just the perfect amount of illumination. You’ll transport yourself to another realm in no time.
9. Headboard light
Headboard lights are similar to wall sconces except they’re installed inside your headboard. You’ll have ample brightness right near you, so you’ll have more illumination for when you’re reading in bed. When you start a chapter and just can’t put the book down, you can continue reading all throughout the night. You can also get a light bar that runs across the top of the headboard for an especially streamlined look.
Trying to read with bright fluorescent beams shining right into your eyes can really ruin your room’s ambiance. Instead, enjoy reading in harmony with the warm and soothing colorful glow of the BlissRadia. All from the palm of your hand, you can set the mood by choosing any combination of vibrant gradients. It’s like a choose-your-own-adventure novel but with lights!
BlissRadia Smart LED Mood Light
From desktop to bedside, light the way to concentration, stimulation, or relaxation.
11. LED wall lights
LED wall lights can provide a colorful, low-maintenance reading setup. Peel and stick some BlissGlow LED lights to the walls around your bed for a subtle glow that provides just enough light for your bedtime read. In lighting this low-key, even the most engaging read can get you calm and relaxed enough to fall asleep without any tossing and turning. But for the time you’re awake, your lights might transport you directly into your book without you moving an inch.
BlissGLow Multicolor LED Strip Light
Refresh your space with a modern glow.
Things to consider when choosing your reading light
Before you go out and buy a reading light for your bedroom, it’s important to consider a few different factors. Doing so matters because not all reading accessories offer the same functions. Follow this guide to figure out what’s right for you.
- Bulb type. One of the first things you should take into consideration before choosing a fixture is the type of bulb you want to use. Each type of bulb will emit a different color temperature and use a different amount of energy. In general, the preferred bulb type for reading is halogen. These bulbs produce a whiter light that illuminates a book’s off-white pages and makes them easier to see.
- How it's controlled. If convenience and ease of use are high priorities, you might be better off with a fixture you can power without moving. Look for lights that come with remote control, voice command features, or smartphone sync. These features allow you to adjust your reading light without getting up. When it’s late and you’re tired, you probably won’t want to get out of bed and push a button that’s nowhere near you.
- How it's powered. Bulbs won’t last forever, so think about how you want to power them up throughout the year. If there is a nearby outlet, a wired lamp works well and won’t require too much maintenance. Moving around? A fixture that’s battery-powered or rechargeable works best. Just remember to have some extra batteries or a USB port or charger to ensure you won’t lose your reading light.
- Brightness. When you read at night, you need a light bright enough to illuminate your book. At the same time, you don’t want a light so bright you stay too alert to fall asleep when you finish. This concern means choosing a light with the right amount of lumens. Having a sufficient number of lumens can make the difference between reading comfortably and straining your eyes.
- Types of reading light. You should also consider how the fixture will be installed, where it will be placed, and how you’ll use it. That basically means choosing the type of reading fixture. Some loose reading light categories are listed below.
- Tabletop. Have a nightstand or desk nearby? If so, a lamp can be a stylish way to add some extra illumination to your bedroom. Most lamps plug into the wall, so you should ensure that an outlet is available. These fixtures often use lightbulbs, giving you the flexibility to swap them out and choose from various types.
- Clip-on. For a bit more versatility, clip-on fixtures are a great choice. You have the option to clip them onto any piece of furniture in your space or even right onto the book. This convenience means that if you decide to get up from bed and go read on the loveseat instead, your light will go with you.
- Wearable. While a flashlight would direct ample brightness right at your book, you’d have to sit there and hold it the entire time. With a wearable light, you can read in ample brightness entirely hands-free. Wearable lights are typically LED, rechargeable, and flexible. You also won’t have to worry about the glow interfering with your loved one’s sleep.
- Headboard-mounted. If you want a light more permanent than a clip-on but you don’t want to install something directly into the wall, try a headboard-mounted light. These fixtures are installed directly into your headboard and shine right over or next to you and your book. You can choose from many contemporary styles to keep things modern and functional.
- Smart light. Are you over the hassle of wires? Maybe you want something you can control from under the covers? A smart light should check all your boxes. Many smart lights connect to your smartphone via Bluetooth or WiFi so you can adjust the settings from anywhere in your room. Some smart lights even allow voice control. With these options, you won’t have to worry about losing your place while reading.
Enjoy an unforgettable reading experience with BlissLightsThere’s nothing much better than throwing on your comfiest pajamas and fuzziest socks, sipping some hot tea, and mentally transporting yourself right into a novel. All your worries might disappear as you read about powerful wizards, princesses and princes, or romantic getaways. As your book takes you elsewhere, BlissLights can set the mood and bring the universe to you. Browse the BlissLights collection to find the most transportive reading lights you can imagine.
BlissLights Lighting Blog
Discover fun and unique lighting ideas on the BlissLights Lighting Blog!