As you design your child’s room, you’re probably picking a theme and some colors and decorations that fill the space with abundant love and joy. But have you ever considered the lighting in the room? The right lamps and fixtures can set the mood and transform your kids’ space from an ordinary bedroom to an entrancing, calming fantasyland. Below are some kids’ room lighting ideas that can help your little ones feel comfortable, at home, and safe from the dark.
9 kids room lighting ideas
Let’s say you’re ensuring your toddler there are no monsters hiding under the bed. Kids’ room lighting can help assuage that fear. It can also help your elementary-school kids impress their friends when they come over for playdates. For pretty much any purpose, these kids’ room lighting ideas can elevate any space far beyond the everyday.
1. Evergreen lights
- Benefits: As your child grows and changes, so may their style and interests. Keeping up with their constantly evolving music tastes, favorite TV shows, and hobbies can be challenging. So yes, you can expect the design or setup of the space to change as your child grows up and outgrows bright pink fixtures or lights in the shape of animals. With evergreen light fixtures, however, the lighting won’t need to change. They will always match whatever your tiny tot’s age – these are the lights that grow with them.
- Examples: Evergreen pendant lights such as Edison, globe, and abstract fixtures all create a sophisticated look and ambient glow. They can create an atmosphere perfect for toddlers learning how to crawl or the middle schooler having friends over for video games. They transform your kids’ room, yet they remain just as powerful years from now as today.
2. Task lights
- Benefits: From reading stories at bedtime to doing homework, a child’s room is a versatile space that requires equally versatile lighting. The thing is, an overhead ceiling light may leave certain important areas dark or shadowy, which can impact visibility. In addition, activities that require concentration, such as word puzzles and drawing, are easier with proper and adequate brightness. Task lights help bridge lighting gaps to make all your kids’ activities more manageable and more rewarding.
- Examples: These types of fixtures come in a plethora of different styles, colors, and sizes, so you can easily find one that matches your child’s bedroom theme. If your kids spend time in their room doing homework, you could add a table lamp to their desk. To create a cozy reading nook, place a floor lamp in the corner. By incorporating a fashionable task light, you give playtime and storytime a marvelous makeover.
3. Accent lights
- Benefits: Your playroom, nursery, or child’s bedroom can be decorated with more than just posters, stuffed animals, and wall decals. In fact, accent lighting may just be the perfect complement to all of these. Accent lighting can be used to showcase a specific piece of decor, or it can be the decor itself. It’s the perfect proof that lighting doesn’t just brighten things up – it can also enhance the aesthetic of any room.
- Examples: These fixtures are a perfect way to add some of your child’s personality to their room. Try finding a lamp shaped like an elephant or a teddy bear to give your tiny angel sweet dreams at night. To customize the space, even more, pick your own lampshade to match the color theme of the room. Alternatively, swap the lampshade for another one with cute patterns and shapes.
4. Lights for creativity
- Benefits: Kids have some of the most interesting and imaginative minds around, and you can help foster that creativity with the right type of lighting. For example, put a lightbox on a desk, wall, or nightstand to spark your kids’ imagination. They can also practice spelling out the days of the week or learn a new word every day.
- Examples: You could also set up the Ark Ambient Aurora Light to mesmerize your kids with a soothing laser aurora dancing around soft blue nebula clouds. The Ark makes for an atypically exciting playtime background. There’s just no end to the imaginative ways your children can enjoy the Ark!
ARK Aurora Light
Transcend reality with a moving abstract aurora.
5. Night lights
- Benefits: With scary noises coming from outside or monsters peeking out from the closet, there are many reasons why kids get scared in the dark. The subtle glow of night lights can ease your kids’ bedtime worries by providing a slight sheen. They’ll keep away the spooky scaries and make it easier for your youngster to walk about in the middle of the night. No more tripping over toys on the way to the bathroom!
- Examples: With the BlissBulb, your child’s bedroom will be filled with thousands of colorful laser stars. Simply swap out regular bulbs with the BlissBulb and instantly transform the room into a peaceful night sky. Your kids will look forward to turning off the lights instead of avoiding bedtime.
BlissBulb Laser LightBulb
Transforming your world is as easy as changing a lightbulb.
6. Floor lights
- Benefits: Trying to illuminate every part of your kids’ room can be difficult, especially if you’re running low on space. One way to brighten the dark corners of the room is with floor lights. These fixtures can help your children play and create in every area of the room without visibility restrictions.
- Examples: With floor lights, you can choose the style that makes the most sense for your kids and their needs. They can provide just the right amount of brightness for homework, studying, reading, and fun arts and crafts projects. Looking for something without any wires? LED light strips peel and stick to the bottom of the wall for a more immersive type. Some LED lights can even change color to fit your child’s current mood best!
7. Fairy lights
- Benefits: If your youngster dreams about flying alongside fairies and waving a magic wand, fairy lights can make their dreams come true. These twinkling strings offer a subtle, magical glow that can make your little one feel like they just stepped into a fairytale.
- Examples: Aside from elevating your kids’ room ambiance, fairy lights can also be used as night lights. Wrap them around bedposts, hang them from the windows or ceilings, or place them into a mason jar. Whimsical fairy lights give your kids their own enchanted world.
8. Glow in the dark-stars
- Benefits: The sky's the limit with glow-in-the-dark stars. For starters, installing this decor can make for a fun afternoon with your kids. Give them a bunch of stick-on stars, planets, moons, friendly aliens, and spaceships, then have them decorate however they desire. Come nighttime, and they’ll be surrounded by glowing constellations that they themselves have created -- all without plugging in a fixture.
- Examples: Glow-in-the-dark stars are also a tried-and-true approach to night lights. You won’t have to look for the nearest outlet to plug anything into or worry about exposed wires. Instead, just stick your glowing stars anywhere your kids want and watch the room glimmer.
9. Sky Lite
- Benefits: Look beyond the boundaries of a room’s four walls and into limitless galaxies beyond to create the ultimate child’s bedroom. Your aspiring astronaut can bounce around planets and zoom away in a rocketship, all from right under their own roof.
- Examples: The classic Sky Lite projects a stunning array of green laser stars and fluffy blue clouds to mesmerize your children ultimately. They won’t just be okay with bedtime; they’ll be eager for it.
Then there’s the Sky Lite Evolve Galaxy Projector which can mentally transport kids and teens to the thrilling adventures of a whole new dimension. In seconds, multicolor nebulas and twinkling stars will surround your kids and inspire endless awe. You can also customize the colors and patterns right from your smartphone to truly let your youngsters’ imaginations run wild.
Sky Lite Evolve: Smart Galaxy Projector
The latest evolution in smart galaxy lighting.
What to consider when picking lights for kids room
Before you incorporate these new and exciting kids’ room ideas into your home, make sure your fixtures are:
- Shatterproof. Accidents are bound to happen, especially with smaller kids. With shatterproof lighting, you can avoid any potential related dangers. Search for shatterproof light bulbs, light projectors mostly housed in plastic, stick-on lights, or other non-traditional light fixtures.
- Dimmable. A versatile kids’ bedroom should work well for almost everything, and dimmers are hugely helpful on that front. Dimmers give you the flexibility to control the space’s brightness at different times of the day. Nap time, play dates, storytime, homework hour, bedtime – each should get a different amount of brightness.
- Easy to safely install. Many fixtures plug into the wall, leaving wire trailing behind them. Make sure you can properly anchor these wires out walking paths (and out of sight) to minimize the chance of tripping. Additionally, avoid lamps with cords that look like they could fray and thus lead to exposed wires.
- Energy-efficient. Not all lighting is created equal. When shopping for new fixtures, keep in mind the amount of energy they use. Energy-efficient lights such as LEDs can reduce your energy bill and last longer than typical incandescent bulbs. Even more energy-efficient, though, are laser lights such as BlissLights.
Create a kid-friendly wonderland with BlissLights
The lighting in your kids’ should be exciting and feel like one of the best things about everyday life. After all, you children are constantly making new memories, dreaming big, and letting their imaginations run free. With BlissLights, you can illuminate your room in ways that inspire this mental freedom. Browse the BlissLights collection to find the light that will astonish your kids, transform their surroundings, and help their minds grow.
You may also enjoy these...
Discover fun and unique lighting ideas on the BlissLights Lighting Blog!
8 Best Party Laser Lights for Both Home and Venue
Mon, Feb 26, 24
9 Romantic Lighting Ideas to Fall In Love With
Wed, Feb 07, 24
Which BlissLight Is The Right One For You?
Wed, Jan 17, 24
How to connect a smart device to 2.4GHz WiFi
Thu, Mar 23, 23
Romantic Valentine's Day Home Decor Ideas
Fri, Dec 30, 22
10 Self Care Ideas You'll Thank Yourself For
Mon, Dec 26, 22
12 New Year's Resolutions for Your Home
Fri, Dec 23, 22
9 Studio Apartment Decorating Ideas on a Budget
Mon, Dec 19, 22
How to Incorporate Meditation Into Your Daily Life
Fri, Dec 16, 22
7 of the Coolest Winter Birthday Party Themes
Fri, Dec 09, 22
8 Ways to Celebrate Galentine's Day
Mon, Dec 05, 22
6 Winning Super Bowl Party Decorating Ideas
Fri, Dec 02, 22
10 Cozy Living Room Christmas Decor Ideas
Mon, Nov 28, 22
The Ultimate White Elephant Party Guide
Fri, Nov 25, 22
11 Holiday Gift Exchange Theme Ideas for Festive Fun
Fri, Nov 18, 22
The Best DIY Advent Calendar Ideas (+ The Top Filler Items)
Mon, Nov 14, 22
15 Office Holiday Party Ideas: Themes, Gifts, Games & More
Fri, Nov 11, 22
The Ultimate List of Secret Santa Gift Ideas
Fri, Nov 04, 22
How to Decorate a Party Tent Made Simple
Mon, Oct 31, 22
What to Put in a Housewarming Basket for New Homeowners
Fri, Oct 28, 22
The Ultimate List of Family Game Night Ideas for All Ages
Mon, Oct 24, 22
8 Cube Shelf Decor Ideas + 4 Cube Shelf Styling Tips
Fri, Oct 21, 22
Pet Photoshoot Ideas: How To Get the Perfect Shot
Fri, Oct 14, 22
13 Fun Double Date Ideas to Mix Things Up
Mon, Oct 10, 22
16 Thoughtful Gift Ideas for a Photographer
Fri, Oct 07, 22
12 Man Cave Ideas and Essentials To Upgrade Your Space
Mon, Sep 26, 22
13 Simple Modern Balcony Lighting Ideas + Design Tips
Fri, Sep 23, 22
13 Themed Homecoming Party Ideas for 2022
Mon, Sep 19, 22
11 Festive Fall Lighting Ideas + Design Tips For Your Home
Fri, Sep 16, 22
6 Mantel Decor Ideas With a TV
Mon, Sep 12, 22
9 Stylish Stairway Lighting Ideas
Fri, Sep 09, 22
7 Indoor Halloween Lighting Ideas for a Spooky Vibe
Mon, Sep 05, 22
How to Host a 'Hocus Pocus'-Themed Party | BlissLights
Fri, Sep 02, 22
9 Smart Lighting Ideas To Reshape Your Home
Fri, Aug 26, 22
10 Simply Chic Small Salon Decor Ideas That You Must Use
Mon, Aug 22, 22
14 Selfie Wall Ideas for the Perfect Post
Fri, Aug 12, 22
16 Must-Have Gifts for Influencers That They Will Love
Fri, Aug 05, 22
9 DIY Wardrobe Closet Ideas to Build The Ultimate Closet
Wed, Jul 27, 22
Warm Lighting vs. Cool Lighting: What's the Difference?
Mon, Jul 25, 22