As you design your child’s room, you’re probably picking a theme and some colors and decorations that fill the space with abundant love and joy. But have you ever considered the lighting in the room? The right lamps and fixtures can set the mood and transform your kids’ space from an ordinary bedroom to an entrancing, calming fantasyland. Below are some kids’ room lighting ideas that can help your little ones feel comfortable, at home, and safe from the dark.
9 kids room lighting ideas
Let’s say you’re ensuring your toddler there are no monsters hiding under the bed. Kids’ room lighting can help assuage that fear. It can also help your elementary-school kids impress their friends when they come over for playdates. For pretty much any purpose, these kids’ room lighting ideas can elevate any space far beyond the everyday.
1. Evergreen lights
- Benefits: As your child grows and changes, so may their style and interests. Keeping up with their constantly evolving music tastes, favorite TV shows, and hobbies can be challenging. So yes, you can expect the design or setup of the space to change as your child grows up and outgrows bright pink fixtures or lights in the shape of animals. With evergreen light fixtures, however, the lighting won’t need to change. They will always match whatever your tiny tot’s age – these are the lights that grow with them.
- Examples: Evergreen pendant lights such as Edison, globe, and abstract fixtures all create a sophisticated look and ambient glow. They can create an atmosphere perfect for toddlers learning how to crawl or the middle schooler having friends over for video games. They transform your kids’ room, yet they remain just as powerful years from now as today.
2. Task lights
- Benefits: From reading stories at bedtime to doing homework, a child’s room is a versatile space that requires equally versatile lighting. The thing is, an overhead ceiling light may leave certain important areas dark or shadowy, which can impact visibility. In addition, activities that require concentration, such as word puzzles and drawing, are easier with proper and adequate brightness. Task lights help bridge lighting gaps to make all your kids’ activities more manageable and more rewarding.
- Examples: These types of fixtures come in a plethora of different styles, colors, and sizes, so you can easily find one that matches your child’s bedroom theme. If your kids spend time in their room doing homework, you could add a table lamp to their desk. To create a cozy reading nook, place a floor lamp in the corner. By incorporating a fashionable task light, you give playtime and storytime a marvelous makeover.
3. Accent lights
- Benefits: Your playroom, nursery, or child’s bedroom can be decorated with more than just posters, stuffed animals, and wall decals. In fact, accent lighting may just be the perfect complement to all of these. Accent lighting can be used to showcase a specific piece of decor, or it can be the decor itself. It’s the perfect proof that lighting doesn’t just brighten things up – it can also enhance the aesthetic of any room.
- Examples: These fixtures are a perfect way to add some of your child’s personality to their room. Try finding a lamp shaped like an elephant or a teddy bear to give your tiny angel sweet dreams at night. To customize the space, even more, pick your own lampshade to match the color theme of the room. Alternatively, swap the lampshade for another one with cute patterns and shapes.
4. Lights for creativity
- Benefits: Kids have some of the most interesting and imaginative minds around, and you can help foster that creativity with the right type of lighting. For example, put a lightbox on a desk, wall, or nightstand to spark your kids’ imagination. They can also practice spelling out the days of the week or learn a new word every day.
- Examples: You could also set up the Ark Ambient Aurora Light to mesmerize your kids with a soothing laser aurora dancing around soft blue nebula clouds. The Ark makes for an atypically exciting playtime background. There’s just no end to the imaginative ways your children can enjoy the Ark!
ARK Aurora Light
Transcend reality with a moving abstract aurora.
5. Night lights
- Benefits: With scary noises coming from outside or monsters peeking out from the closet, there are many reasons why kids get scared in the dark. The subtle glow of night lights can ease your kids’ bedtime worries by providing a slight sheen. They’ll keep away the spooky scaries and make it easier for your youngster to walk about in the middle of the night. No more tripping over toys on the way to the bathroom!
- Examples: With the BlissBulb, your child’s bedroom will be filled with thousands of colorful laser stars. Simply swap out regular bulbs with the BlissBulb and instantly transform the room into a peaceful night sky. Your kids will look forward to turning off the lights instead of avoiding bedtime.
BlissBulb Laser LightBulb
Transforming your world is as easy as changing a lightbulb.
6. Floor lights
- Benefits: Trying to illuminate every part of your kids’ room can be difficult, especially if you’re running low on space. One way to brighten the dark corners of the room is with floor lights. These fixtures can help your children play and create in every area of the room without visibility restrictions.
- Examples: With floor lights, you can choose the style that makes the most sense for your kids and their needs. They can provide just the right amount of brightness for homework, studying, reading, and fun arts and crafts projects. Looking for something without any wires? LED light strips peel and stick to the bottom of the wall for a more immersive type. Some LED lights can even change color to fit your child’s current mood best!
7. Fairy lights
- Benefits: If your youngster dreams about flying alongside fairies and waving a magic wand, fairy lights can make their dreams come true. These twinkling strings offer a subtle, magical glow that can make your little one feel like they just stepped into a fairytale.
- Examples: Aside from elevating your kids’ room ambiance, fairy lights can also be used as night lights. Wrap them around bedposts, hang them from the windows or ceilings, or place them into a mason jar. Whimsical fairy lights give your kids their own enchanted world.
8. Glow in the dark-stars
- Benefits: The sky's the limit with glow-in-the-dark stars. For starters, installing this decor can make for a fun afternoon with your kids. Give them a bunch of stick-on stars, planets, moons, friendly aliens, and spaceships, then have them decorate however they desire. Come nighttime, and they’ll be surrounded by glowing constellations that they themselves have created -- all without plugging in a fixture.
- Examples: Glow-in-the-dark stars are also a tried-and-true approach to night lights. You won’t have to look for the nearest outlet to plug anything into or worry about exposed wires. Instead, just stick your glowing stars anywhere your kids want and watch the room glimmer.
9. Sky Lite
- Benefits: Look beyond the boundaries of a room’s four walls and into limitless galaxies beyond to create the ultimate child’s bedroom. Your aspiring astronaut can bounce around planets and zoom away in a rocketship, all from right under their own roof.
- Examples: The classic Sky Lite projects a stunning array of green laser stars and fluffy blue clouds to mesmerize your children ultimately. They won’t just be okay with bedtime; they’ll be eager for it.
Then there’s the Sky Lite 2.0 Galaxy Projector which can mentally transport kids and teens to the thrilling adventures of a whole new dimension. In seconds, red, blue, or green nebulas and twinkling stars will surround your kids and inspire endless awe. You can also customize the colors and patterns right from your smartphone to truly let your youngsters’ imaginations run wild.
Sky Lite 2.0: Galaxy Projector (App Control)
Shine a galaxy of moving stars and a vibrant multicolor cloud.
What to consider when picking lights for kids room
Before you incorporate these new and exciting kids’ room ideas into your home, make sure your fixtures are:
- Shatterproof. Accidents are bound to happen, especially with smaller kids. With shatterproof lighting, you can avoid any potential related dangers. Search for shatterproof light bulbs, light projectors mostly housed in plastic, stick-on lights, or other non-traditional light fixtures.
- Dimmable. A versatile kids’ bedroom should work well for almost everything, and dimmers are hugely helpful on that front. Dimmers give you the flexibility to control the space’s brightness at different times of the day. Nap time, play dates, storytime, homework hour, bedtime – each should get a different amount of brightness.
- Easy to safely install. Many fixtures plug into the wall, leaving wire trailing behind them. Make sure you can properly anchor these wires out walking paths (and out of sight) to minimize the chance of tripping. Additionally, avoid lamps with cords that look like they could fray and thus lead to exposed wires.
- Energy-efficient. Not all lighting is created equal. When shopping for new fixtures, keep in mind the amount of energy they use. Energy-efficient lights such as LEDs can reduce your energy bill and last longer than typical incandescent bulbs. Even more energy-efficient, though, are laser lights such as BlissLights.
Create a kid-friendly wonderland with BlissLights
The lighting in your kids’ should be exciting and feel like one of the best things about everyday life. After all, you children are constantly making new memories, dreaming big, and letting their imaginations run free. With BlissLights, you can illuminate your room in ways that inspire this mental freedom. Browse the BlissLights collection to find the light that will astonish your kids, transform their surroundings, and help their minds grow.
You may also enjoy these...
Discover fun and unique lighting ideas on the BlissLights Lighting Blog!
17 Summer Decorations for Your Office in 2022
Fri, May 13, 22
18 Music-Themed Room Decorating Ideas For Jamming Out
Mon, May 09, 22
16 She Shed Office Ideas to Upgrade Working From Home
Fri, May 06, 22
21 Must-Have Glamping Accessories For a Perfect Getaway
Mon, Apr 18, 22
7 Pajama Party Ideas For The Greatest Sleepover Ever
Fri, Apr 15, 22
Emotional Escape Room - The Ultimate Calm Corner Guide
Mon, Apr 11, 22
30 Marvelous DIY Lighting Ideas For a Wedding Reception
Fri, Apr 08, 22
24 At-Home Spa Essentials You Need for Relaxation
Fri, Apr 01, 22
14 Best Disco Lights to Take Your Party To The Next Level
Mon, Mar 28, 22
13 Home Decor Essentials You Need in 2022
Fri, Mar 18, 22
12 Best Color Changing LED Lights for Your Room in 2022
Mon, Mar 14, 22
10 Creative Entertainment Center Lighting Ideas
Mon, Mar 07, 22
Euphoria-Themed Party – The Ultimate How-To Guide
Wed, Mar 02, 22
11 Cozy Lighting Ideas to Warm Up Your Winter
Mon, Feb 28, 22
The Best 11 Attic Lighting Ideas To Transform Your Space
Fri, Feb 25, 22
14 Stylish Modern Hallway Light Ideas
Wed, Feb 23, 22
Best TikTok Lights: What LED Lights Do TikTokers Use?
Mon, Feb 21, 22
20 Unique LED Strip Lights Ideas for Your Home
Fri, Feb 18, 22
Try These 11 Best Bookshelf Lighting Ideas
Mon, Feb 14, 22
The 4 Best Lights for Studying and Reading
Fri, Feb 11, 22
11 Graduation Party Lights To Celebrate The Class of 2022
Mon, Feb 07, 22
Where to Put LED Lights in Your Room
Fri, Feb 04, 22
9 Best Lights for Closets to Illuminate Your Wardrobe
Mon, Jan 31, 22
The 7 Best Star Ceiling Lights to Bring the Universe to You
Mon, Jan 24, 22
The Best Ambient Gaming Lights to Really Level Up
Fri, Jan 21, 22
The 8 Best Sweet 16 Lights for the Big Day
Mon, Jan 17, 22
20 Must-Have Work Desk Accessories in 2022
Fri, Jan 14, 22
The 6 Best Plug In Motion Sensor Lights
Mon, Jan 10, 22
7 Cool Mood Lighting Ideas You Should Try
Fri, Jan 07, 22
The 8 Best Night Lights to Keep You Out of the Dark
Wed, Jan 05, 22
25 DIY Dorm Room Decor Ideas For You to Try Next Semester
Mon, Jan 03, 22
6 Gaming Desk Lights To Amplify Your Setup
Fri, Dec 31, 21
9 Unique Ambient Lights For Your Room
Mon, Dec 27, 21
20 Dorm Gifts for Guys That He'll Definitely Appreciate
Fri, Dec 24, 21
9 Fancy Night Lights for an Instant Room Upgrade
Mon, Dec 20, 21
12 New Years Eve Theme Party Ideas to Start the New Year
Fri, Dec 17, 21
10 De-Stress Activities for College Students
Mon, Dec 13, 21
30 Gifts for Young Teen Boys They'll Actually Want
Fri, Dec 10, 21
Reading Lights for Bedrooms: Best Tips for a Good Read
Wed, Dec 01, 21
DIY Bathroom Lighting Ideas That Will Transform Your Space
Fri, Nov 26, 21
12 Light Blue and Silver Bedroom Ideas for a Luxury Feel
Mon, Nov 22, 21