Night lights are often associated with children scared of the dark. Consequently, night lights often come in “kids” colors or designed after a favorite cartoon character. But that assumption leaves out the adults who could use night lights for reasons other than scaring off the monster hiding under the bed.
There are a variety of decorative night lights for adults out there: so many, in fact, that it can be hard to know where to begin making the right choice for your home. To pick the model that’s right for you, take into account the reason you need a night light, your personal design tastes, and where in your home it will be placed. Our guide takes you through your myriad of options and how these night lights for adults can be used.
Can adults use night lights?
Of course! Many adults incorporate night lights into their homes well after their children outgrow the fear of monsters in the closet, or once they outgrow that fear themselves.
Thankfully, the available options don’t look like toys or otherwise like they’re made specifically for children. Many are as decorative as they are functional, in designs and colors meant to blend into every room. With all the styles available, you’re bound to find something to match your home decor.
Why do adults use night lights?
Night lights take on a new purpose and use in adulthood, casting light throughout the home once the sun goes down. Some of the uses and benefits of night lights for adults include:
- Night lights can be decorative. If you’ve thought there was something missing in a room, a night light can be the finishing touch. Drawing inspiration from your existing decor, night light fixtures can add a new layer of light to the room while matching your current tastes. Examples include salt lamps, LED cube lights, and wall night lights with colorful or decorative glass shades.
- Night lights help you ease back into sleep. Most of us don’t fall asleep easily or quickly, and bright lights exacerbate that scenario. Turning on an overhead light or a lamp during the night can be quite disruptive and prevent you from catching the rest you need. Night lights are just bright enough to navigate around without disrupting your sleeping patterns. Plus, you may benefit from night lights in relaxing colors to help lull you into a state of relaxation.
- Night lights help illuminate pathways and other important fixtures. Turning on a harsh overhead light can hurt tired eyes, but moving around in the dark isn’t safe, either. A night light is an excellent way to avoid both of these problems, brightening the way just enough to avoid stumbling and circumvent obstacles without causing eye strain. They can also help you easily find important items, like light switches, in the dark.
- Night lights can help with fear of the dark. Although these worries tend to be associated with children, around 11 percent of adults report experiencing fear of the dark, or more accurately, the unknown and inability to see that comes from darkness. These special lamps can quite literally cast light on these fears, gently pushing back the darkness without it being too bright to sleep.
Eight decorative night lights for adults
There’s no shortage of options when looking for the right decorative night light for your home. Here are some of the types of adult night lights you can choose from:
- Salt lamps. A salt lamp is a beautiful accent piece which utilizes carved Himalayan pink salt as a shade or light diffuser. The warm light passing through the salt blocks casts a gentle glow that’s not only ultra relaxing, but dim enough to keep harsh light out of your eyes. Pink salt is also believed to clear impurities from the air.
- Plug-in night lights. Quick and easy to set up, plug-in lights can be placed into any outlet. These units are typically small and point upward, so they can be positioned to not block other outlets when in use. Some come with built-in LEDs or you can install the compatible light bulb of your choice. There are many styles to choose from, like vintage-looking filament bulbs or modern artistic pieces, so you can select the one that best fits your style.
- Galaxy lights. If you’ve ever sat outside and watched the stars at night, you know how relaxing it can be. Galaxy lights like BlissLights’ Sky Lite bring that feeling indoors without shining harsh lights in your eyes. A laser galaxy projector lets you lay back and enjoy your own personal galaxy, with laser stars moving over a nebula cloud in calming blue and green hues.
Sky Lite Galaxy Projector
Shine a galaxy of moving stars and a blue nebula cloud.
- Color lights. The color may not be the first thing you think of when it comes to choosing a night light, but there is plenty of variety here. Some colors may disturb sleep rhythms, while others are intended to relax you and help you get into the sleeping mindset. Select the color that most puts you at ease.
- Aurora lights. An aurora light projects relaxing patterns onto your walls and ceiling. This light is soothing, calming, and won’t disturb your sleep. Many aurora lights can be adjusted to your liking, so one area of a room can be brighter or dimmer than another. Plus, aurora lights like the BlissLights Ark Ambient light are compact, so they can be placed and stored virtually anywhere you choose.
ARK Aurora Light
Transcend reality with a moving abstract aurora.
- Portable night lights. Many night lights’ small size make them ideal for travel, as they don’t take up much room in your luggage and can be used virtually anywhere. Some portable fixtures are rechargeable, too, eliminating the need for a source of electricity or an adapter if you’re traveling abroad.
StarPort USB Light
One tiny light. Thousands of stars!
- Motion sensor lights. If you don’t need the lights on all night long, consider motion sensor units that respond to movement. These models automatically detect when someone is near, so they’ll turn on as you need them and turn off a few minutes later. These types of night lights are ideal for areas where only a bit of light is needed for a brief time, such as the bathroom, closet, or hallway.
- Touch activated lights. Touch lamps are a convenient way to incorporate lighting into your home. Simply tap, and the light turns on or off. These night lights can be used in closets, bathrooms, hallways, and other small spaces where you need to access at night without casting harsh overhead light into sensitive eyes.
Choosing the right night light for your home
There are a few major things to keep in mind when choosing a night light. Keep your desired use center of your decision: Whether you’re casting a bit of light in a dark corner or need to see your way through a hallway at night, each type of night light is suited for a specific job. Some are multi-purpose, serving both as decorative night lights for adults and for a specific purpose, and some are specifically meant for utility. No matter your purpose, there’s a world of options out there for you, each designed to make your home—and your world—a little bit brighter.
You may also enjoy these...
Discover fun and unique lighting ideas on the BlissLights Lighting Blog!
6 Gaming Desk Lights To Amplify Your Setup
Fri, Dec 31, 21
9 Unique Ambient Lights For Your Room
Mon, Dec 27, 21
20 Dorm Gifts for Guys That He'll Definitely Appreciate
Fri, Dec 24, 21
9 Fancy Night Lights for an Instant Room Upgrade
Mon, Dec 20, 21
12 New Years Eve Theme Party Ideas to Start the New Year
Fri, Dec 17, 21
10 De-Stress Activities for College Students
Mon, Dec 13, 21
30 Gifts for Young Teen Boys They'll Actually Want
Fri, Dec 10, 21
Reading Lights for Bedrooms: Best Tips for a Good Read
Wed, Dec 01, 21
DIY Bathroom Lighting Ideas That Will Transform Your Space
Fri, Nov 26, 21
12 Light Blue and Silver Bedroom Ideas for a Luxury Feel
Mon, Nov 22, 21
20 Cute Room Aesthetic Ideas to Create Your Dream Space
Fri, Nov 19, 21
8 Best Party Laser Lights for Both Home and Venue
Fri, Nov 12, 21
21 Party Decoration Ideas For Adults That You'll Love
Fri, Nov 05, 21
The 14 Best Stocking Stuffer Ideas for Gamers
Mon, Nov 01, 21
Space Theme Party Ideas That Will Rock Your Universe
Mon, Oct 25, 21
How To Choose Lighting For Your Home
Fri, Oct 22, 21
Kids Room Lighting Ideas That Will Spark Joy
Mon, Oct 18, 21
7 Loft Lighting Ideas to Transform Your Home
Fri, Oct 15, 21
Your Guide on Where to Buy A Galaxy Projector
Mon, Oct 11, 21
What is a Galaxy Projector, and Why You Should Get One
Fri, Oct 08, 21
How Much Does a Galaxy Projector Cost?
Wed, Oct 06, 21
20 Christmas Tree Alternatives That Won’t Break The Bank
Mon, Oct 04, 21
11 Galaxy Bedroom Accessories That Will Elevate Your Space
Fri, Oct 01, 21
How To Transform Your Place On A Budget
Mon, Sep 27, 21
15 Creative and Inspiring Ideas For a Spare Room
Mon, Sep 20, 21
15 Gifts For Space Lovers That Are Out of This Galaxy
Fri, Sep 17, 21
Are Star Projectors Good For Sleep? Here's What We Know
Mon, Sep 13, 21
12 Decorative Dorm Room Ideas for Girls to Get Inspired
Fri, Sep 10, 21
9 Cool Dorm Room Ideas For Guys to Get Inspired
Mon, Sep 06, 21
13 Holiday Gifts For Gamers They'll Love Year-Round
Fri, Sep 03, 21
Sky Lite Vs Sky Lite 2.0: What Is The Real Difference?
Wed, Sep 01, 21
12 Lighting for Small Spaces to Make Them Feel Larger
Fri, Aug 27, 21
13 Dining Room Lighting Trends To Create a Stylish Space
Mon, Aug 23, 21
13 Indoor Decorative Lights to Jazz Up Your Space
Fri, Aug 20, 21
Back-To-Work Office Decor That Adds Personality To Your Desk
Mon, Aug 16, 21
12 Ways To Add Color To A Room Without Painting
Fri, Aug 13, 21
13 Great Giveaway Ideas For Gamers
Fri, Aug 06, 21
Feeling Tired? 10 Ideas to Create Your Spa Day at Home
Wed, Aug 04, 21
14 Balcony Decor Ideas To Transform Your Outdoor Space
Mon, Aug 02, 21
Is BlissLights Worth It? Yes, and Here’s Why
Mon, Jul 26, 21
Why Are Color-Changing Lights So Popular?
Fri, Jul 23, 21
11 Best Lights For TikTok To Up Your Social Media Presence
Fri, Jul 16, 21
Staycation Ideas That are Better and Cheaper Than Going Away
Mon, Jul 12, 21
The Eight Best Stage Lights To Liven Up Any Performance
Fri, Jul 09, 21
Halloween Lighting Ideas That Create a Spooky Atmosphere
Wed, Jul 07, 21