Night lights are often associated with children scared of the dark. Consequently, night lights often come in “kids” colors or designed after a favorite cartoon character. But that assumption leaves out the adults who could use night lights for reasons other than scaring off the monster hiding under the bed.
There are a variety of decorative night lights for adults out there: so many, in fact, that it can be hard to know where to begin making the right choice for your home. To pick the model that’s right for you, take into account the reason you need a night light, your personal design tastes, and where in your home it will be placed. Our guide takes you through your myriad of options and how these night lights for adults can be used.
Can adults use night lights?
Of course! Many adults incorporate night lights into their homes well after their children outgrow the fear of monsters in the closet, or once they outgrow that fear themselves.
Thankfully, the available options don’t look like toys or otherwise like they’re made specifically for children. Many are as decorative as they are functional, in designs and colors meant to blend into every room. With all the styles available, you’re bound to find something to match your home decor.
Why do adults use night lights?
Night lights take on a new purpose and use in adulthood, casting light throughout the home once the sun goes down. Some of the uses and benefits of night lights for adults include:
- Night lights can be decorative. If you’ve thought there was something missing in a room, a night light can be the finishing touch. Drawing inspiration from your existing decor, night light fixtures can add a new layer of light to the room while matching your current tastes. Examples include salt lamps, LED cube lights, and wall night lights with colorful or decorative glass shades.
- Night lights help you ease back into sleep. Most of us don’t fall asleep easily or quickly, and bright lights exacerbate that scenario. Turning on an overhead light or a lamp during the night can be quite disruptive and prevent you from catching the rest you need. Night lights are just bright enough to navigate around without disrupting your sleeping patterns. Plus, you may benefit from night lights in relaxing colors to help lull you into a state of relaxation.
- Night lights help illuminate pathways and other important fixtures. Turning on a harsh overhead light can hurt tired eyes, but moving around in the dark isn’t safe, either. A night light is an excellent way to avoid both of these problems, brightening the way just enough to avoid stumbling and circumvent obstacles without causing eye strain. They can also help you easily find important items, like light switches, in the dark.
- Night lights can help with fear of the dark. Although these worries tend to be associated with children, around 11 percent of adults report experiencing fear of the dark, or more accurately, the unknown and inability to see that comes from darkness. These special lamps can quite literally cast light on these fears, gently pushing back the darkness without it being too bright to sleep.
Eight decorative night lights for adults
There’s no shortage of options when looking for the right decorative night light for your home. Here are some of the types of adult night lights you can choose from:
- Salt lamps. A salt lamp is a beautiful accent piece which utilizes carved Himalayan pink salt as a shade or light diffuser. The warm light passing through the salt blocks casts a gentle glow that’s not only ultra relaxing, but dim enough to keep harsh light out of your eyes. Pink salt is also believed to clear impurities from the air.
- Plug-in night lights. Quick and easy to set up, plug-in lights can be placed into any outlet. These units are typically small and point upward, so they can be positioned to not block other outlets when in use. Some come with built-in LEDs or you can install the compatible light bulb of your choice. There are many styles to choose from, like vintage-looking filament bulbs or modern artistic pieces, so you can select the one that best fits your style.
- Galaxy lights. If you’ve ever sat outside and watched the stars at night, you know how relaxing it can be. Galaxy lights like BlissLights’ Sky Lite bring that feeling indoors without shining harsh lights in your eyes. A laser galaxy projector lets you lay back and enjoy your own personal galaxy, with laser stars moving over a nebula cloud in calming blue and green hues.
Sky Lite Galaxy Projector
Shine a galaxy of moving stars and a blue nebula cloud.
- Color lights. The color may not be the first thing you think of when it comes to choosing a night light, but there is plenty of variety here. Some colors may disturb sleep rhythms, while others are intended to relax you and help you get into the sleeping mindset. Select the color that most puts you at ease.
- Aurora lights. An aurora light projects relaxing patterns onto your walls and ceiling. This light is soothing, calming, and won’t disturb your sleep. Many aurora lights can be adjusted to your liking, so one area of a room can be brighter or dimmer than another. Plus, aurora lights like the BlissLights Ark Ambient light are compact, so they can be placed and stored virtually anywhere you choose.
ARK Aurora Light
Transcend reality with a moving abstract aurora.
- Portable night lights. Many night lights’ small size make them ideal for travel, as they don’t take up much room in your luggage and can be used virtually anywhere. Some portable fixtures are rechargeable, too, eliminating the need for a source of electricity or an adapter if you’re traveling abroad.
StarPort USB Light
One tiny light. Thousands of stars!
- Motion sensor lights. If you don’t need the lights on all night long, consider motion sensor units that respond to movement. These models automatically detect when someone is near, so they’ll turn on as you need them and turn off a few minutes later. These types of night lights are ideal for areas where only a bit of light is needed for a brief time, such as the bathroom, closet, or hallway.
- Touch activated lights. Touch lamps are a convenient way to incorporate lighting into your home. Simply tap, and the light turns on or off. These night lights can be used in closets, bathrooms, hallways, and other small spaces where you need to access at night without casting harsh overhead light into sensitive eyes.
Choosing the right night light for your home
There are a few major things to keep in mind when choosing a night light. Keep your desired use center of your decision: Whether you’re casting a bit of light in a dark corner or need to see your way through a hallway at night, each type of night light is suited for a specific job. Some are multi-purpose, serving both as decorative night lights for adults and for a specific purpose, and some are specifically meant for utility. No matter your purpose, there’s a world of options out there for you, each designed to make your home—and your world—a little bit brighter.
You may also enjoy these...
Discover fun and unique lighting ideas on the BlissLights Lighting Blog!
11 Ways To Get the Best Vaporwave Aesthetic Room
Mon, Jun 20, 22
14 Mudroom Lighting Ideas and Tips for the Best Entryway
Fri, Jun 17, 22
12 Best Kids Reading Nook Ideas to Inspire a Reading Retreat
Fri, Jun 10, 22
21 DIY Laundry Room Makeover Ideas for Any Home
Mon, Jun 06, 22
20 Slumber Party Decoration Ideas and Themes for Kids
Fri, Jun 03, 22
How to Get Creative With Your Side Hustle This Summer
Wed, Jun 01, 22
How to Detox Your Sleep Routine in 15 Steps
Mon, May 30, 22
17 Makeup Area Ideas Focused on Style and Organization
Fri, May 27, 22
18 RV Lighting Ideas to Guarantee Amazing Getaways
Fri, May 20, 22
20 Party Theme Ideas That Will Never Disappoint
Mon, May 16, 22
17 Summer Decorations for Your Office in 2022
Fri, May 13, 22
18 Music-Themed Room Decorating Ideas For Jamming Out
Mon, May 09, 22
16 She Shed Office Ideas to Upgrade Working From Home
Fri, May 06, 22
21 Must-Have Glamping Accessories For a Perfect Getaway
Mon, Apr 18, 22
7 Pajama Party Ideas For The Greatest Sleepover Ever
Fri, Apr 15, 22
Emotional Escape Room - The Ultimate Calm Corner Guide
Mon, Apr 11, 22
30 Marvelous DIY Lighting Ideas For a Wedding Reception
Fri, Apr 08, 22
24 At-Home Spa Essentials You Need for Relaxation
Fri, Apr 01, 22
14 Best Disco Lights to Take Your Party To The Next Level
Mon, Mar 28, 22
13 Home Decor Essentials You Need in 2022
Fri, Mar 18, 22
12 Best Color Changing LED Lights for Your Room in 2022
Mon, Mar 14, 22
10 Creative Entertainment Center Lighting Ideas
Mon, Mar 07, 22
Euphoria-Themed Party – The Ultimate How-To Guide
Wed, Mar 02, 22
11 Cozy Lighting Ideas to Warm Up Your Winter
Mon, Feb 28, 22
The Best 11 Attic Lighting Ideas To Transform Your Space
Fri, Feb 25, 22
14 Stylish Modern Hallway Light Ideas
Wed, Feb 23, 22
Best TikTok Lights: What LED Lights Do TikTokers Use?
Mon, Feb 21, 22
20 Unique LED Strip Lights Ideas for Your Home
Fri, Feb 18, 22
Try These 11 Best Bookshelf Lighting Ideas
Mon, Feb 14, 22
The 4 Best Lights for Studying and Reading
Fri, Feb 11, 22
11 Graduation Party Lights To Celebrate The Class of 2022
Mon, Feb 07, 22
Where to Put LED Lights in Your Room
Fri, Feb 04, 22
9 Best Lights for Closets to Illuminate Your Wardrobe
Mon, Jan 31, 22
The 7 Best Star Ceiling Lights to Bring the Universe to You
Mon, Jan 24, 22
The Best Ambient Gaming Lights to Really Level Up
Fri, Jan 21, 22
The 8 Best Sweet 16 Lights for the Big Day
Mon, Jan 17, 22
20 Must-Have Work Desk Accessories in 2022
Fri, Jan 14, 22
The 6 Best Plug In Motion Sensor Lights
Mon, Jan 10, 22
7 Cool Mood Lighting Ideas You Should Try
Fri, Jan 07, 22
The 8 Best Night Lights to Keep You Out of the Dark
Wed, Jan 05, 22