The magic of TikTok is that you have endless possibilities to quickly connect with people all over the world. Looking for a laugh? Go to TikTok. Want to watch some incredible dances? TikTok has that too. Interested in learning more about a topic? You can find a TikTokker for that. Or, you can start uploading your own unique videos and become a beloved TikTokker carving a path like no one else. To start, you’ll need to know the best lights for TikTok videos so that, for your viewers, seeing you is believing in you.
What is TikTok?
TikTok is a social media network where users create and share their own short videos. These videos can range in length from 15 seconds to three minutes. Young comedians and actors often use it, as do professional dancers and everyday people getting in on TikTok challenges. People interested in political education may also use TikTok to spread their viewpoints and share their knowledge.
In many cases, TikTok users with unique personalities or content wind up building audiences large enough to turn TikTok into a career. These success stories come from people who use TikTok to create their own worlds and bring moments of wow, wonder, or just plain laughter to their audiences. Often, these TikTokkers also repost their content as Instagram Reels.
Why is TikTok so popular?
Whereas social media platforms like Facebook and Twitter have dominated for over a decade, TikTok has become ubiquitous in the past few years. The reasons this newer platform has so rapidly caught up with the big names are that it’s:
- Fun to use. TikTok videos are super entertaining. There’s a borderline inexplicable magic to opening the app, seeing visually engaging content you know won’t last long, and feeling wowed or laughing a ton. You can’t quite experience that excitement on other social media platforms.
- Great for all ages and interests. Gen Z users dominate TikTok, and other age groups make waves there too. From Gen X vegan cooking enthusiasts to baby boomer comedians, everyone can find a highly engaged audience on TikTok. Users too can find videos about whatever makes them laugh or piques their interest. For both creators and users, TikTok is a place of creativity, celebration, and comfort.
- Authentic. Often, the social media model is one of telling rather than showing. Think about it: How much do you really learn about a person from still photos or short strings of text? TikTok brings users much closer to the people they follow: Many TikTokkers spend hours, if not days, creating their videos. That means their heart is truly in what they do, and when you watch them, you get to know them authentically.
How to create interesting TikTok videos
Another reason why TikTok and, by extension, Instagram Reels are so popular: They’re relatively easy to create. To make your own interesting TikTok videos, try the following:
- Start with a fun idea. This idea could be anything. To find it, ask yourself: What makes you say wow? What shifts your perspective? What awes you? What makes you laugh? Somewhere at the intersection of all these questions lies a great TikTok video idea.
- Look at trends. Often, dance challenges and meme formats go viral on TikTok. Getting in on these trends connects your TikTik videos to the moment and increases the chances that you’ll reach more people. Plus, if something is trending, chances are creating a video for it will be tons of fun.
- Get friends or family to join you. So many funny TikTok videos include younger users bringing their friends or family in on the fun. You can do this too. Parents make for especially popular TikTok content – many TikTokkers intimately know their family’s quirks and how funny they might be on video. Pets doing weird things to ill-fitting music is also a solid formula for success. Speaking of music…
- Use special effects. TikTok is overflowing with special effects that transform your TikTok channel into a surreal world of its own. Vocal processing, video filters, and music can all help you cast your videos in the exact light you want. The script of your next TikTok comedy sketch can be even funnier if one of your characters uses a vocal filter you just have to hear to believe.
- Properly light your surroundings. Your videos will linger longer on users’ minds if your content is clearly visible. With every detail fully illuminated, your videos can more deeply engage your audience. And to fully immerse your audience in a transportive experience that takes them miles away without moving an inch, special effects lighting is a great choice. That’s not just supposition – galaxy projectors have gone viral on TikTok.
11 best lights for TikTok and Instagram Reels
You can get good lighting for TikTok videos and Instagram Reels with the below lighting types:
1. Natural light
The magic of natural light is that it’s everywhere all the time. TikTok videos filmed near an unobstructed window at golden hour or outdoors in sunlight often glow with magic and ample illumination. They’re also the lowest-budget TikTok videos around since natural light is free. And, of course, TikTok success is priceless.
2. Table lamps
That table lamp already on your desk can be a great start for TikTok lighting. Keep your table lamp in the corner of your desk, place your phone holder or tripod stand at the center of your desk, then start filming. With this simple lighting setup, you can get the perspective you seek with the flip of a switch. However, if you’re recording videos away from your desk, you might need some of the other best TikTok lights around.
3. Ring lights
Ring lights are a TikTok staple. The small halo that appears in your eyes when you sit in front of them is beautiful, and so too are the shadow-free environments they provide. For best results, use a ring light with a tripod – keep your phone or camera in the middle of the ring, and you’ll be all set. The same goes for using selfie ring lights or ring light kits. With proper ring light placement, you can transform your surroundings and, at the same time, your viewers’ minds.
4. Webcam lights
Webcam lights are often just ring lights made for your laptop. You’ll mount them around or just above your webcam to get ample lighting from all sides. Other webcam lights more closely resemble flat fill lights that illuminate areas your overhead lights just can’t reach. Either way, you’re setting up your videos to provide instant gratification that lasts far longer than a few minutes.
5. Neon sign lighting
For lighting that sets the mood while providing interesting visuals, neon signs are a great choice. You can find them as images or blocks of text (or both) in colors impossible with more common light sources. Their vintage feel transports your viewers back decades even as they remain firmly grounded in the present. They’re a remarkable way to leave a lasting impression.
6. LED strip lights
LED strip lights can go pretty much anywhere, so they’re super useful for TikTok videos. If your LED strips are color lights, you can use them to accentuate an area near you with soft hues that change the entire vibe of your TikTok video. Just peel off the adhesive backing and place your lights wherever they’d give your videos a gentle, enticing glow. This way, viewers do more than see your video – they get a full-on visual experience.
7. LED light bulbs
Basic LED light bulbs are often among the best lights for TikTok. Their daylight white or off-yellow lighting provides an ideal backdrop for any additional lights or effects you feel like adding. They’re also highly energy-efficient, and since they lose less energy to heat, they keep your filming environment cooler. And when you feel cooler, you can make cooler videos that brighten your viewers’ days with just the push of the play button.
8. Smart lights
You can change the color and light settings of smart lights via remote control or mobile app. Use them to change brightness levels or shift from white to colorful light mid-video – many smart lights can add hues from across the rainbow to wherever you film. Other colorful lights, though, go the extra mile – and take your viewers that distance too.
9. USB lights
USB lights immerse your surroundings in blue, red, or green starry-sky effects the moment you plug them in. They also fit right in your pocket, making them great for on-the-go live streaming. As long as you have a USB power source, you can leave your light stands at home and still get great lighting. The StarPort Laser USB turns all kinds of TikTok videos into moments of wow, and with the HolidayPort USB, Christmas videos make for even merrier celebrations.
StarPort USB Light
One tiny light. Thousands of stars!
10. Aurora lights
Imagine bringing your viewers sights right from the northern lights? With aurora lights like the Ark Ambient Light, you can provide this transportive experience without leaving home. Just plug in your light, turn it on, watch green auroras and blue nighttime skies flood your room, then hit record. Whether you’re educating people, making them laugh, or flooring them with your dance moves, you’ll take them to faraway places without leaving the room.
11. Galaxy projectors
Galaxy projectors are almost unquestionably the best lights for TikTok. As mentioned earlier, they’ve previously gone viral on TikTok – videos with the Sky Lite galaxy projector racked up tens of millions of views in just days. For videos that truly take your viewer elsewhere in the blink of an eye, the new and improved Sky Lite 2.0 is as good as it gets.
With the Sky Lite 2.0, you can film amid nebula clouds of 16 million hues. You can pair these nebulas with wondrous laser stars, rotating and fading effects, and different levels of brightness for different moods. These visuals will awe your viewers from the moment they first watch your videos. In transforming your personal space, you’ll transform your audience’s mental state to a more relaxed or exciting place – exactly the destination you should seek.
BlissLights are the best lights for TikTok
The best lights for TikTok mentally transport your viewers wherever you’re taking them. BlissLights do exactly this for all vibes – funny, educational, wow-inducing, you name it. They provide both ample brightness and brilliant effects – environments in which seeing means believing in the unbelievable. Browse the BlissLights collection now to make an impact on both your viewers’ lives and your own mind.
You may also enjoy these...
Discover fun and unique lighting ideas on the BlissLights Lighting Blog!
6 Gaming Desk Lights To Amplify Your Setup
Fri, Dec 31, 21
9 Unique Ambient Lights For Your Room
Mon, Dec 27, 21
20 Dorm Gifts for Guys That He'll Definitely Appreciate
Fri, Dec 24, 21
9 Fancy Night Lights for an Instant Room Upgrade
Mon, Dec 20, 21
12 New Years Eve Theme Party Ideas to Start the New Year
Fri, Dec 17, 21
10 De-Stress Activities for College Students
Mon, Dec 13, 21
30 Gifts for Young Teen Boys They'll Actually Want
Fri, Dec 10, 21
Reading Lights for Bedrooms: Best Tips for a Good Read
Wed, Dec 01, 21
DIY Bathroom Lighting Ideas That Will Transform Your Space
Fri, Nov 26, 21
12 Light Blue and Silver Bedroom Ideas for a Luxury Feel
Mon, Nov 22, 21
20 Cute Room Aesthetic Ideas to Create Your Dream Space
Fri, Nov 19, 21
8 Best Party Laser Lights for Both Home and Venue
Fri, Nov 12, 21
21 Party Decoration Ideas For Adults That You'll Love
Fri, Nov 05, 21
The 14 Best Stocking Stuffer Ideas for Gamers
Mon, Nov 01, 21
Space Theme Party Ideas That Will Rock Your Universe
Mon, Oct 25, 21
How To Choose Lighting For Your Home
Fri, Oct 22, 21
Kids Room Lighting Ideas That Will Spark Joy
Mon, Oct 18, 21
7 Loft Lighting Ideas to Transform Your Home
Fri, Oct 15, 21
Your Guide on Where to Buy A Galaxy Projector
Mon, Oct 11, 21
What is a Galaxy Projector, and Why You Should Get One
Fri, Oct 08, 21
How Much Does a Galaxy Projector Cost?
Wed, Oct 06, 21
20 Christmas Tree Alternatives That Won’t Break The Bank
Mon, Oct 04, 21
11 Galaxy Bedroom Accessories That Will Elevate Your Space
Fri, Oct 01, 21
How To Transform Your Place On A Budget
Mon, Sep 27, 21
15 Creative and Inspiring Ideas For a Spare Room
Mon, Sep 20, 21
15 Gifts For Space Lovers That Are Out of This Galaxy
Fri, Sep 17, 21
Are Star Projectors Good For Sleep? Here's What We Know
Mon, Sep 13, 21
12 Decorative Dorm Room Ideas for Girls to Get Inspired
Fri, Sep 10, 21
9 Cool Dorm Room Ideas For Guys to Get Inspired
Mon, Sep 06, 21
13 Holiday Gifts For Gamers They'll Love Year-Round
Fri, Sep 03, 21
Sky Lite Vs Sky Lite 2.0: What Is The Real Difference?
Wed, Sep 01, 21
12 Lighting for Small Spaces to Make Them Feel Larger
Fri, Aug 27, 21
13 Dining Room Lighting Trends To Create a Stylish Space
Mon, Aug 23, 21
13 Indoor Decorative Lights to Jazz Up Your Space
Fri, Aug 20, 21
Back-To-Work Office Decor That Adds Personality To Your Desk
Mon, Aug 16, 21
12 Ways To Add Color To A Room Without Painting
Fri, Aug 13, 21
13 Great Giveaway Ideas For Gamers
Fri, Aug 06, 21
Feeling Tired? 10 Ideas to Create Your Spa Day at Home
Wed, Aug 04, 21
14 Balcony Decor Ideas To Transform Your Outdoor Space
Mon, Aug 02, 21
Is BlissLights Worth It? Yes, and Here’s Why
Mon, Jul 26, 21
Why Are Color-Changing Lights So Popular?
Fri, Jul 23, 21
11 Best Lights For TikTok To Up Your Social Media Presence
Fri, Jul 16, 21
Staycation Ideas That are Better and Cheaper Than Going Away
Mon, Jul 12, 21
The Eight Best Stage Lights To Liven Up Any Performance
Fri, Jul 09, 21
Halloween Lighting Ideas That Create a Spooky Atmosphere
Wed, Jul 07, 21