Are you tired of falling asleep as you read your chemistry textbook? Perhaps you can barely keep your eyes open as you finish re-reading Shakespeare for that exam tomorrow (or just for fun). No matter the reason for reading, the perfect studying lights can help shine a light as you follow along with the pages. Read on to discover how to find the best lights for studying ahead of your next big exam.
What is the best light for studying?
Natural light from the sun is theoretically the best light you can find for studying and reading. That’s because the colors and color temperatures comprising natural light are bright enough for focus but not so bright you’ll get a headache. Of course, you probably study indoors or at night more often than outdoors and in the sun. In that case, you’ll need artificial lighting for studying.
What is the best light for studying when there is no sunlight?
The best light for studying during those late nights or cold winter months is an artificial light that won’t make you feel groggy. So here are a few things you want to look for.
- Homogenous lighting. When you’re studying, steady is the name of the game: You want your lighting to retain its color and brightness the whole time. Homogenous lighting is a great solution. Unlike other light types, it won’t suddenly get so bright that it introduces an irritating glare. That sort of glare can make it extremely difficult to focus on studying.
- Top-down light. A top-down light is exactly what it sounds like. It illuminates your study space from above to help eliminate shadows and unwanted reflections. Without these dark spots getting in the way of your favorite novel or those late-night cram sessions, getting everything done is much easier.
- Layered lighting. Whether you’re working at a desk or your kitchen table, layered lighting can keep you awake and alert. Layered lighting for studying comprises ambient and task lights. The ambient light will illuminate the general area – a ceiling light is a great example. A task light is basically a desk lamp that more brightly illuminates the space where you read or study.
Is cool or warm light better for studying?
Lighting types aren’t the only factor behind what makes a good studying light. Color temperature plays a huge part in adequate study lighting too. Read on to discover the difference between warm and cool light and which one is better for reading and studying.
- Cool light. Most white or blue lighting is cool light, which has a color temperature of over 4000K. This color temperature is closer to the temperature of sunlight than with warm lighting. Cool lighting typically won’t cause eye strain, even if you’re reading at night.
- Warm light. If a light gives you sunset vibes, its color temperature is on the warmer side. Most yellow, orange, or red lights provide warm lighting, which encompasses all color temperatures less than 4000K. Warm lighting is great for a low-key nighttime read, but it’s too relaxing to work well as study lighting.
Top 4 lights for studying
Now that you understand color temperature and the ways you could illuminate your study space, you’re ready to bring new lighting into your space. Below are the four best lights for your nighttime reading or study sessions.
Swing-arm desk lamp
A swing-arm desk lamp is a great task lighting option for your tabletop. These small but mighty fixtures work best paired with an overhead ceiling light. The overhead fixture will fill the room, and your desk lamp will cover the shadows. You can also shine your desk lamp right onto your textbook or notebook for greater focus. Desk lamps come in many different colors, styles, and sizes to help you see your entire study space in a whole new way.
Customizable LED strip lights
With customizable LED strip lights, you can illuminate your space however you want. You can place them under your desk, on your bookshelf, or along your wall – the possibilities are endless. Just cut the LED light strip to your desired size, peel off the adhesive backing, and stick it wherever you please. Try lining the perimeter of your desk with them for an unobtrusive extra bit of study glow.
The BlissGlow is a great example of how LED strip lights can transform your study space. The BlissGlow comes with independent color control, so you can illuminate your space in one to 12 colors simultaneously. Use the BlissGlow in a cool blue hue to plow through your study session, then switch to red for some post-cramming cooldown. You can change the colors right from the BlissLights app, so you can reinvent your study space without leaving your desk.
BlissGlow Multicolor LED Strip Light
Refresh your space with a modern glow.
Lamp with lampshade
Classic table lamps with chic lampshades can offer stylish, decorative ways to illuminate your study space. That’s especially true if you choose a bulb with a color temperature above 4000K. A classic white bulb with six to nine watts of power should brighten your study space well into the night.
Smart ambient mood lighting
Looking for an impressive light to turn your dull, dark office space into a glistening glow? Ambient mood lighting is the way to do it. You can add ambient mood fixtures onto your desk, nightstand, or nestled in a bookshelf to create a peaceful yet productive environment. They also provide seamless day-to-night transitions with “dawn to dusk” timers. This way, as you study under receding natural light, you keep clearly seeing the text in front of you.
The BlissRadia ambient mood light immerses your study space in colorful, gorgeous hues that you can control right from the BlissHome mobile app. This way, you can switch from a practical white to a calming orange hue with just a few screen taps. With millions of colors to choose from, the BlissRadia is home to the right study light for your space.
BlissRadia Smart LED Mood Light
From desktop to bedside, light the way to concentration, stimulation, or relaxation.
Illuminate your study space with BlissLightsNow that you know how to find the best lights for your next study session, it's time to set up your new space. With the right color-changing mood lights and LED strips, you can transform your dark, dusty desk into the ultimate study space. Browse the BlissLights collection now for mood lights and LED strips that transform your study space with just the push of a button.
BlissLights Lighting Blog
Discover fun and unique lighting ideas on the BlissLights Lighting Blog!