If you’re sitting in your family room wondering why the lights are too bright to watch TV or too dim to read a book, then it's probably time to update your lighting. With a family room being used for various tasks, the right lighting is crucial to not only help you see, but to set the right tone. Here's everything you need to know about family room lighting fixtures and how they can elevate your space.
Why do you need lighting in your family room?
Whether you are relaxing on the couch with your family or having an epic game night, the family room is where everyone can hang out, bond, and enjoy each other's company. For a room that is used so often, you should put thought and care behind how it feels, and lighting is key to creating that homey and “chill” atmosphere. The right fixtures and light colors can generate the perfect atmosphere, turning it into a space admired by all. Check out these reasons why you should add specialty lighting to your family room:
- Elevate surroundings: Precise lighting placement will ultimately help illuminate specific elements or areas in the room. Focus lighting on paintings, decor, or plants to make them stand out, while not being overwhelming. This establishes a nice balance between darker corners and naturally lit sections of the same room.
- Add personality: Warm and welcoming lighting lends personality to your space. Specialty lighting makes the room entertaining and enhances the experience of home living. From elegant and regal to fun and mesmerizing, lighting creates an inviting atmosphere that welcomes everyone.
- Set the right mood: Believe it or not, the type of lighting in a room actually impacts your mood. Speciality lights that come in colors such as red, blue, and green can all set the mood and determine energy levels, emotions, and even help to improve mental health. For a relaxing mood, lighting that offers patterns and gently moving clouds encourage tranquility and peace.
- Decorate: Spruce up your living room without making long-lasting changes. Specialty lighting provides beautiful designs but can be changed, dimmed, or replaced without any extra effort. Instead of spending time painting the entire room, use lighting to create a similar effect without all the hassle.
- Add versatility: A family room is fit for hosting many occasions. Why not use lighting that can match the vibe of each event? Specialty fixtures can quickly convert for multiple uses – turn down the lights for family movie night or change it up for game night. With different color choices,brightness levels, and even moving effects, your lights can bring life to each form of family friendly entertainment.
7 best lighting options for family room
Now that you understand why lighting can make such a huge difference for your family room’s functionality, it's time to pick which lighting types are best for you. Here are some popular lighting options to consider that will bring your family room to the next level:
1. Colorful light
Not only does colorful lighting add some extra flair to your family room, but it also has positive effects on mood, emotions, and mental health:
- Blue lights: Did you know that blue lighting has been shown to reduce stress and increase productivity? After a long day of work, you probably just want to unwind and get comfortable. Use blue lighting-such as our BlissBulb to destress or help you stay focused on those challenging at-home tasks.
- Red lights: Try red lighting for a soothing effect that could inspire your creative side. Red can promote an energetic mood when used for game nights but can also help you wind down and get in the mood to chill with the family.
- Green lights: Cozy up to the fresh sight of green lighting. Green has tension-reducing properties that can help you better relax and leave your worries at the door. This versatile color can either be used for a soft ambiance or as a bold statement.
Sky Lite Galaxy Projector
Shine a galaxy of moving stars and a blue nebula cloud.
2. Accent lighting
Have some beautiful artwork that you want to show off, or want to spotlight some decor in your space? Use accent fixtures to add a soft glow in specific areas of your family room. This fixture type gives off just enough subtle lighting that it draws attention without being too distracting. Accent lamps, spotlights, picture lights, and up-lights are just a few examples of what you may need to tie the room together.
3. Sculptural wall sconces
Amp up your barren walls with decorative wall sconces. These lights offer additional ambient lighting to your family room. Wall lighting shines up and down instead of outward, confining the glow to the area around the sconce. For larger rooms, place multiple sconces along the walls for that beautiful finish.
4. Low-hanging pendants
Low-hanging lights, which are a type of pendant light, cast off a warm glow while focusing the light downward. While the light is not overwhelmingly bright, it is perfect for creating a space to read a book, do work, play board games, and just enjoy spending time together as a family.
5. Task lighting
You probably use your family room for more than just watching sitcoms: Maybe your kids enjoy doing arts and crafts projects on the coffee table, or you love to just sit down in your favorite recliner with a good book. Regardless of what you do, your regular floor lamps might not be sufficient enough on their own for every task. Spot lamps and table lamps provide extra brightness where you need it the most. Most can easily be moved around and adjusted, too, so you can place them perfectly for just the right amount of brightness.
6. Laser projectors
Ever dreamed of having your own personal galaxy? Well, now you can with laser projectors! With soothing patterns like floating clouds and drifting stars, you’ll turn your family room into a serene space with just the click of a button. Products such as BlissLights’ Sky Lite Laser Projector and the Ark Ambient Aurora Light generate a peaceful ambiance of wandering auroras perfect for a movie night, listening to music, or meditating.
ARK Aurora Light
Transcend reality with a moving abstract aurora.
7. Star lighting
Gather around the fireplace, sip some hot cocoa, and stargaze -- all from the comfort of your family room. Star lighting shines thousands of twinkling stars around the room, giving you the illusion of being right under the sky. BlissLights’ Stargazer bundle brings a vivid galaxy of red, blue, and green sparkling stars to your room.
See your world in a whole new light.
Transform your family room with BlissLights
Elicit joy and happiness from the whole family with a space where everyone can laugh, play games, and hang out.. While lighting is often overlooked, it can be the key to a perfect family room. At BlissLights, our specialty laser projectors and lighting bring excitement, flair, and even peaceful ambiance to your family room. Browse our collection of laser lights to find the perfect fit for your family room.
You may also enjoy these...
Discover fun and unique lighting ideas on the BlissLights Lighting Blog!
How To Transform Your Place On A Budget
Mon, Sep 27, 21
15 Creative and Inspiring Ideas For a Spare Room
Mon, Sep 20, 21
15 Gifts For Space Lovers That Are Out of This Galaxy
Fri, Sep 17, 21
Are Star Projectors Good For Sleep? Here's What We Know
Mon, Sep 13, 21
12 Decorative Dorm Room Ideas for Girls to Get Inspired
Fri, Sep 10, 21
9 Cool Dorm Room Ideas For Guys to Get Inspired
Mon, Sep 06, 21
13 Holiday Gifts For Gamers They'll Love Year-Round
Fri, Sep 03, 21
Sky Lite Vs Sky Lite 2.0: What Is The Real Difference?
Wed, Sep 01, 21
12 Lighting for Small Spaces to Make Them Feel Larger
Fri, Aug 27, 21
13 Dining Room Lighting Trends To Create a Stylish Space
Mon, Aug 23, 21
13 Indoor Decorative Lights to Jazz Up Your Space
Fri, Aug 20, 21
Back-To-Work Office Decor That Adds Personality To Your Desk
Mon, Aug 16, 21
12 Ways To Add Color To A Room Without Painting
Fri, Aug 13, 21
13 Great Giveaway Ideas For Gamers
Fri, Aug 06, 21
Feeling Tired? 10 Ideas to Create Your Spa Day at Home
Wed, Aug 04, 21
14 Balcony Decor Ideas To Transform Your Outdoor Space
Mon, Aug 02, 21
Is BlissLights Worth It? Yes, and Here’s Why
Mon, Jul 26, 21
Why Are Color-Changing Lights So Popular?
Fri, Jul 23, 21
11 Best Lights For TikTok To Up Your Social Media Presence
Fri, Jul 16, 21
Staycation Ideas That are Better and Cheaper Than Going Away
Mon, Jul 12, 21
The Nine Best Stage Lights To Liven Up Any Performance
Fri, Jul 09, 21
Halloween Lighting Ideas That Create a Spooky Atmosphere
Wed, Jul 07, 21
Colorful RGB Lights For All Kinds Of Room Decor
Mon, Jul 05, 21
Home Music Studio Essentials Every Music Producer Needs
Fri, Jul 02, 21
12 Popular Lighting Ideas That Are Worth the Hype
Wed, Jun 30, 21
How Can You Use Your BlissLights?
Fri, Jun 25, 21
Game Room Ideas On A Budget That Won't Hurt Your Wallet
Mon, Jun 21, 21
9 Gaming Room Accessories To Add To Your Setup
Fri, Jun 18, 21
Where Should You Use Your BlissLights?
Mon, Jun 14, 21
8 Music Room Ideas to Get You in the Groove
Fri, Jun 11, 21
At-Home Movie Theater Ideas To Create an IMAX Experience
Mon, Jun 07, 21
Which BlissLight Is The Right One For You?
Fri, Jun 04, 21
Try These 15 Relaxation Accessories To Chill Out
Wed, Jun 02, 21
Space Themed Bedroom Ideas That Are Out Of This World
Mon, May 31, 21
Party Galaxy Games To Shake Things Up
Fri, May 28, 21
Best Colors For a Relaxing Bedroom You Should Try
Mon, May 24, 21
Bedroom Colors And Moods To Help Brighten Your Surroundings
Fri, May 21, 21
How To Choose The Right Lighting For Any Space
Mon, May 17, 21
Statement Lighting That Will Turn Heads In Your Home
Fri, May 14, 21
Fairy Lights Ideas That Create a Magical Environment
Mon, May 10, 21
Cool Room Accessories That Make Your Space Stand Out
Fri, May 07, 21
Gamer Must-Haves For An Unforgettable Experience
Wed, May 05, 21
Lighting For YouTube Videos To Jumpstart Your Creator Career
Mon, May 03, 21
7 Relaxation Techniques for a Calm Night’s Sleep
Fri, Apr 30, 21
14 Gifts to Help Sleep Better at Night
Mon, Apr 26, 21
Unique Gifts for Gamers for a Next Level Experience
Fri, Apr 23, 21